Contact Phone Numbers

Old March 10th 08, 10:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Frank

Default Contact Phone Numbers

I lost my hard drive last week and had it rebuilt. Fortunately, I had all of
my contacts saved. Before this happened, I could enter a contact phone
number as such (905) 667 - 4301 Note the spaces. I do this intentionally to
make it easy to read. All of my contacts that were previously entered still
display as above with spaces. The problem I now have is that when I enter a
phone number with spaces, outlook automatically removes them so that it look
like: (905) 667-4301 It lets me enter the spaces but as soon as I press
"ENTER", it remeves them. Help please !!! I have looked everywhere for the
solution to this problem but can't find it. Using Outlook 2003 Professional
with Windows XP Professional
Old March 11th 08, 01:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

You must set your default dialing location for the operating system before
Outlook will format your phone numbers.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old May 29th 08, 04:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Frank

Thanks Russ and sorry for the delay, but You were not specific enough for me.
I went into Outlook help, typed "set default dialing location" and tried a
bunch of stuff but no luck. Can you please give me a few more details.
Thanks,

Old May 29th 08, 07:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Brian Tillman

Frank wrote:

Thanks Russ and sorry for the delay, but You were not specific enough
for me. I went into Outlook help, typed "set default dialing
location" and tried a bunch of stuff but no luck. Can you please
give me a few more details.

It's not an Outlook function, it;s a Windows function. StartControl
PanelPrinters and Other HardwarePhone and Modem Options. Of course, you
can also get at it from within Outlook. While viewing the Contacts folder,
click ActionsCall ContactNew CallDialing Properties
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old May 31st 08, 03:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Frank

I did that from both Outlook and Windows. It has not solved my problem. I
have set my default dialing location and selected "Apply" & "OK") I have
re-started my computer twice. No luck. I still can't format phone numbers
with spaces. It must be possible because I was able to do it with the same
computer & the same systems for years. What am I missing please. Tim
Horton's gift certificate card to whom ever can solve this. I promise.

Old May 31st 08, 03:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

I don't understand your question. There are spaces where there should be.
Why do you say there aren't? Outlook is formatting the phone number in
standard format which is what it should do. That's what Outlook has always
done. How Outlook masks phone numbers is hard coded.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
news

Old June 1st 08, 07:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Frank

ok & thanks again for working on this with me. Basically, your latest
question to my problem is my problem. Outlook is "now" formatting my phone
numbers in my contacts the way it wants to. (This was not the case a month
ago) I can't alter them the way I want to. I type them as (905) 123 - 4567
but Microsoft Outlook is changing them to (905) 123-4567. That is my
problem. I wish them to remain as and stay as (905) 123 - 4567 (notice the
spaces between the "3" and "-" as well as the "-" and the "4". I need them
store that way for a reason. I can see them & read them better. I have
dyslexia and have to function with it. My contacts are also viewable on my
BlackBerry but everything is so small...hard to see. The spaces make sense
for me & help me. For years, this was not an issue. I have the same
computer with the same software. Something or some "setting" somewhere is
different now since I had my hard drive rebuilt a month ago. Do you know
what that is. All of the phone numbers that were stored and saved prior to
last month are still being saved as (905) 123 - 4567. Those are ok...no
issues there. My problem is for any new entries. I enter them as (905) 123
- 4567 but they get saved as (905)123-4567. I change them back but its no
use. Microsoft re-changes them back to (905) 123-4567. My offer still
stands. Thanks.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

I don't understand your question. There are spaces where there should be.
Why do you say there aren't? Outlook is formatting the phone number in
standard format which is what it should do. That's what Outlook has always
done. How Outlook masks phone numbers is hard coded.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
news

Old June 1st 08, 09:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Outlook has always formatted phone numbers this way because that is standard
international format. Outlook does not permit you to use a non-standard
format and never has because telephony dialers require that format. If you
need to store the numbers in non-standard format, use a different, non-phone
field so Outlook won't mask it, or place the number in quotes.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Frank" wrote in message
[...]

news

Old June 2nd 08, 08:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Frank

ok, we are getting closer to understanding what is going on. Once again,
your answer has led me to understand another thing. You are right, once you
set up your "dialing properties" in Microsoft, and you click the "radio
button" under "locations", you are done for. From that point on, you can't
change the way phone numbers are store for you in contacts (unless, as you
suggested, you use " " or * or.....I do not wish to do this!!!) There lies
the answer to my problem. How do we "uncheck" that radio button. I went to
a number of other computers on my floor and experimented. If no one has gone
into "dialing properties" and "checked" their "radio button" on a computer,
you can enter a phone number in contacts any which way you want. As many
spaces as you want, where ever you want. This is what I wish to do. But
once you "check" that button, Microsoft will only save the phone number for
you one way (formatted) I have proven this on 5 different computers. By the
way, no one here uses their computer to dial out. We are not configured for
that. We still use good old fashioned telephones and fax machines. Since
they re-built my hard drive last month, someone (&^%$*^@)must have gone into
my "dialing properties" and "checked" my radio button. Hence my problem.
How do I "uncheck" it. I tried a bunch of stuff but no luck. Once again, I
am true to my words and my Tim's card offer still stands. (This is driving
me nuts) !!!

"Frank" wrote in message
[...]

news I did that from both Outlook and Windows. It has not solved my problem.

Old June 2nd 08, 09:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

You cannot "unset" that option. Nor can you leave dialing options unset if
you plan to use phone number fields because Outlook will prompt you
continuously to set it until you do.
You must use one of the options I listed to store numbers in non-standard
format. Sorry. That's just the way it is.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]