Outlook 2007 Display View

Old June 1st 07, 09:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
---Fitz---

Default Outlook 2007 Display View

When viewing my Contacts folder in OL 2007, they are sorted by Last
Name-First Name. This is a good thing. When creating email and clicking
the "To:" button, the names are listed by First Name-Last Name. How can I
change this latter setting to match what's displayed in the Contacts folder.
Going to Account Settings, Address Books, Outlook Address Books, Change,
Contacts Personal Folders, doesn't seem to change the latter view.

Any help is appreciated.

Old June 1st 07, 10:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

It will if you set it to the correct setting and restart Outlook.
What did you do?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old June 1st 07, 11:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
---Fitz---

I set it to "show names by: (File as (Smith, John)"
I've restarted Outlook and also run a repair.

Old June 2nd 07, 12:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Then state what isn't happening that you think should.
Examine your File as field.
Outlook will do what you tell it to. Apparently you aren't providing Outlook
with proper instructions.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old June 2nd 07, 12:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
---Fitz---

What isn't happening that I think should be happening is that when creating
email and clicking the "To:" button, the names are listed by First Name-Last
Name instead of Last Name-First Name like I have set in the "File As" field.
I'm not sure of what additional instructions I can give to Outlook to make
the fields display as I set them and as is displayed in Contacts.

Thanks

Old June 2nd 07, 01:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

How you have set Contacts to display in the Contacts Folder is irrelevant.
If you set the Outlook Address Book to display by the File As field, then it
is.
Examine your File As fields. Explain what part of this is not end user
error.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"---Fitz---" wrote in message
What isn't happening that I think should be happening is that when
creating email and clicking the "To:" button, the names are listed by
First Name-Last Name instead of Last Name-First Name like I have set in

Old June 2nd 07, 06:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
---Fitz---

ToolsAccount SettingsAddress BooksOutlook Address BookChangeContacts:
Prersonal FoldersShow names by File As (Smith, John)

Also under ToolsOptionsPreferencesContact Options is set for First-Last.
Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying but I don't see any other
options in Outlook that refers to this.

Old June 2nd 07, 10:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

If you have set the Outlook Address Book to sort by the File As... field and
restarted Outlook, then it is sorting by the File As... field.
The preference you set for the File As.. field in Outlook is not in play.
That will only apply to new Contacts you create, not your existing Contacts.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old June 2nd 07, 06:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
---Fitz---

Thanks for the info. I've set it that way so I don't understand the failure
to sort as set. I can attach screen shots if it would help.

Old June 2nd 07, 07:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Don't attach them. Post them somewhere. I've seen no one able to reproduce
this.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]