Journal Quesions - OL 2003

Old February 24th 06, 06:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Jim McGowan

Default Journal Quesions - OL 2003

I occasionally see articles stating how the Journal in Outlook can be used
to auto-track specific contacts. Yet the Options available for Auto-Journals
do not show this.

Are there registry hacks that can accomplish this?

Better yet, is there anyway to associate specific Outlook categories with
auto-journaling?

I track a lot of specific activities with the Journal. Presently, on a
Pocket PC running Windows Mobile 2003SE I have categories assigned to
certain contacts and events. Whenever I create/complete/edit associated
appointments and/or tasks, journal entires are automatically created and
saved. I also have a program called JournalSync by WebIS that manages to
synchonize my Journal items between Outlook and my Pocket PC.

But I cannot find a way to set up similar automatic journal entries by
category in OL 2003.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

--
Jim McGowan

Old February 24th 06, 02:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Outlook doesn't do journaling by category, only by contact and even then only certain types of items. Set the options on Tools | Options | Journal Options.

In most cases, you may find it easier to skip the journaling and just let the Activities page on a contact show you items that are related because of their email addresses or because they contain an explicit link to the contact in the Contacts field.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Old February 27th 06, 07:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Jim McGowan

Thanks Sue, but as I mentioned in my original post, I need to keep a Journal
of tasks, appointments, and other items. How would I track these in
Outlook/Pocket Outlook within the Activities page on any given contact's
card? It doesn't always relate to a particular contact, you know?

I've seen that same suggestion in popups within Outlook itself - I don't
know why some MS programmer took it upon him or herself to presume I would
only be tracking activites of my contacts with the Outlook Journal. Methinks
they would just like to discontinue the Journal altogether! And they're
hinting strongly. (Imagine a few whines and sniffles here!)

But I have seen a few items posted here and there descibing organizing
auto-journaling by filters, and by categories. Can't find anything that says
exactly how, though. Probably an add-in that accomplishes this, but I can't
find the doggone thing!

Thanks. again, Sue.
--
Jim McGowan

Old February 27th 06, 01:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

On a task item, at the bottom of the item, you can enter the contact in the Contacts box to make a link with the contact. Such a linked task (or other type of item) will thereafter appear on the contact's Activities page.

I don't know whether Pocket Outlook uses that information.

Old February 27th 06, 08:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Jim McGowan

I have determined that I can add more items to those which are
auto-journaled by adding registry keys under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Outlook\Journaling.

I don't know yet how or if I can somehow create a key that will associate
journal entiries with specific categories, but I'm working on it.