Transferring Outlook contacts to another computer

Old January 12th 06, 03:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
AlanN

Default Transferring Outlook contacts to another computer

I have , after several hours, transferred my Palm contacts to Outlook 2003 on
a new computer. Now I need to transfer my Outlook 2003 contacts to my office
computer, which has Outlook 2000. How do I do this? Thanks.
Old January 12th 06, 04:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Brian Tillman

AlanN wrote:

I have , after several hours, transferred my Palm contacts to Outlook
2003 on a new computer.

I don't know why it would take hours to install Palm Conduit or Pocket
Mirror (software that came with your Palm) and have it sync your Outlook
contacts with your device.

Now I need to transfer my Outlook 2003
contacts to my office computer, which has Outlook 2000. How do I do
this?

Sync your Palm with the other PC.
--
Brian Tillman

Old January 12th 06, 05:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
AlanN

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

AlanN wrote:

I have , after several hours, transferred my Palm contacts to Outlook
2003 on a new computer.

I don't know why it would take hours to install Palm Conduit or Pocket
Mirror (software that came with your Palm) and have it sync your Outlook
contacts with your device.

Now I need to transfer my Outlook 2003
contacts to my office computer, which has Outlook 2000. How do I do
this?

Sync your Palm with the other PC.
--
Brian Tillman

Thanks Brian. Yes, I agree, why DID it take so long? I don't know. I kept getting a unique error message, 'hot sync operation failed because message has been changed.' No one seems to know what this means. After a lot of experimentation, reboots, subsequent removals and re-additions, and narrowing the field to only contacts, it worked. My problem is that my computer at work is on a very strict network, and they will not allow a palm sync to outlook. I need to figure out how to take the contact file I was able to get into outlook 2003, put it on a compact disc, and get it into outlook 2000. I don't know how to do this or what file to look for, etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Old January 13th 06, 02:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Brian Tillman

AlanN wrote:

it worked. My problem is that my computer at work is on a very
strict network, and they will not allow a palm sync to outlook.

Syncing with a Palm doesn't involve the network, as far as I can tell.

I need to figure out how to take the contact file I was able to get
into outlook 2003, put it on a compact disc, and get it into outlook
2000.

In Outlook, click FileNewOutlook Data File. Select "Outlook 97-2002
Personal Folders File (.pst)" and click OK. Browse to the folder where you
want it (ior accept the default). Give it a name (or accept the default).
Click OK. Give it a display name (or accept the default). This will add
another "Personal Folders" (or whatever display name you chose) to your
folder list. RIght-click your Contacts folder, drag it to the new Personal
Folders label, and release the mouse button. Choose Copy. When the copy
completes, right-click the root of the PST and choose Close. Close Outlook.

With Windows Explorer, browse to the folder where you created the PST and
drag it to your CD burner. Allow Windows to burn the CD. You can also use
an expernal burning program, but there is anecdotal evidence that some
external burning programs do not handle PSTs well.

Insert the CD into the other PC, open the CD, and copy the PST to some
folder on the hard drive, taking care not to overwrite any PST that already
exists in that folder. Remove the read-only attribute from the PST. Start
Outlook. Click FIleOpenPersonal Folders File. Browse to the PST, select
it, and click OK. You'll now have access to the Contacts folder in that
PST. You can open it and move or copy the contacts in it to your regular
Contacts folder or just use them in-place by right-clicking that Contacts
folder, choosing Properties, selecting the Outlook Address Book tab, and
checking the option to "Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book".
--
Brian Tillman