Copy/Paste categories of contacts into seperate folders?

Old August 14th 06, 10:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Tim Ryan

Default Copy/Paste categories of contacts into seperate folders?

I use categories extensively. In the past I have been able to change the
view to “by category”, then copy and paste all the contacts in that category
into a separate folder for further sorting and/or exporting from JUST that
category.

Maybe my method of copying/pasting into a separate folder is not the best
method, but it has been working for me for YEARS. In other words, in order
for me to sort by multiple categories or geographically within one category,
I’ve always just copied the entire category into another folder and then
manipulated that data freely so that I never modified the original contacts.

Problem now is that I can no longer copy and paste from the category view.
I have no explanation for this. From within the “by category” view, I’d just
click the category, “control C” (all contacts within that category would
highlight)… then I’d click the separate folder that I wanted to paste them
into and just “Control P”. Now everything works up until the Paste… they
won’t paste in to the new folder.

Any suggestions on why the paste won’t work or other suggestions on
manipulating contacts deep into a category are appreciated!

--
Tim Ryan
Old August 15th 06, 12:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Judy Gleeson [MVP Outlook]

So what changed to make this not behave the same as it always did for you?
New version? Service pack? That's the key data you have left out.....

In the meantime try a slightly different method, instead of Crtl C, select
all people in the Category using grouping, then just drag the group to the
destination folder (drag it by grabbing the heading bar and dragging and
dropping). Left dragging will move, right dragging gives you ability to
Move or Copy when you release.

Judy Gleeson
Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Outlook
www.acorntraining.com.au

Old August 15th 06, 04:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Tim Ryan

Great point... What changed? Well... I did try Office 2007 Beta, but this
copy/paste problem was intermittent prior to that install/uninstall. Now it
is a complete problem. Nothing intermittent about it.

I can drag and drop without problem. But I do not want to MOVE the
contacts, only copy them. I have moved them, exported the file data, and
moved it back to the contacts folder, but MAN OH MAN is that a pain! I have
over 8000 contacts in that category.

If it was only a few hundred, I might not mind moving and moving back. But
it takes an eternitiy to move THAT many contacts back into the contacts.

I'm going to try again...

Thanks,
Tim
--
Tim Ryan

Old August 15th 06, 04:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Brian Tillman

Tim Ryan wrote:

If it was only a few hundred, I might not mind moving and moving
back. But it takes an eternitiy to move THAT many contacts back into
the contacts.

It shouldn't. You don't have to move them one at a time.
--
Brian Tillman
Old August 15th 06, 04:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Tim Ryan

No No... Not moving them one at a time, but Outlook processes them one at a
time. I think becuase I have it set to check for duplicates (maybe there is
a way to temporarily turn that off) that it takes so long to move them back.

--
Tim Ryan

Old August 15th 06, 07:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Brian Tillman

Tim Ryan wrote:

No No... Not moving them one at a time, but Outlook processes them
one at a time. I think becuase I have it set to check for duplicates
(maybe there is a way to temporarily turn that off) that it takes so
long to move them back.

Why would you move them back? Have you tried right-clicking the category
and dropping it on the folder you want?
--
Brian Tillman