Unable to find WAB DLL error message

Old June 26th 06, 08:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Escape4Dani

Default Unable to find WAB DLL error message

When I click the “to” tab in Outlook to insert a contact or if I try to enter
an address on the line, I get this error message: “An error occurred while
attempting to open the windows address book. Unable to locate WAB DLL." I
can't send email, but I can receive. I have tried everything I could find to
fix it: I have uninstalled and re-installed MS office several times and that
didn’t work. I have tried the “detect and repair” also with no luck.
Honestly, I am about ready to throw my pc out the window. I tried all the
suggestions from the MS Help, as well as contacting my ISP. Still have no
clue how to resolve this issue. The version of MS Office I am using is 2000.
(My operating system is Windows XP)
Old June 26th 06, 10:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Not an Outlook problem. I must assume from your post that you are using IMO
mode of Outlook, not the full version. It uses Outlook Express for most of
its transports.
Accordingly, you must rename all WAB32.dll files and repair Outlook Express.
It goes without saying that you must have a functioning version of Outlook
Express installed for your version of Outlook to run.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old June 27th 06, 01:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Escape4Dani

I appreciate your response. Truly. I must admit though I am very green when
it comes to the technical navigation. I hope you wouldn’t mind explaining to
me in "laymen’s terms" the correct steps. After posting this, I came across
a post with very similar issues. Missing WAB DLL from May 17, 206. I read
all the comments, and tried to follow the steps to correcting the issue as he
did, but our systems are different and I wasn’t sure if the steps applied to
me. I do have a better understanding of the problem, but I still need a
little guidance. Not to mention as I said, I really need it to be spelled
out for me. I am not familiar with the terms “WAB32.dll” files when you say
rename all WAB32.dll files etc.. I am not sure what that is or how to do it.
I am not sure what IMO means, but as far as I know my Outlook is the full
version. Is there a way to find out? I’d like to provide whatever
information will be helpful to fix this problem. I have Outlook Express 6.
And, both the Outlook and OE were running properly until my husband installed
a new motherboard 2 weeks or so ago. It started happening right after the
motherboard replacement. I hope that helps. If you don’t want to break it
down me it’s is ok. I am sure it is a waste of your time. But could you
please provide detailed suggestions that my husband can follow to rectify the
issue. Thanks again for your response and for your attention.

Old June 27th 06, 09:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

All you need to do is make sure both Outlook and Outlook Express are closed.
Search for and rename every wab32.dll file on your hard drive. The either
reinstall or repair Outlook Express (you can do it from Microsoft's
website).

Old July 5th 06, 01:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
[email protected]

I'm having exactly the same problem and have followed the instructions
to rename, reload etc. and none of it works. Where should the WAB DLL
file be located? The registry entry in my case is C:\Program
Files\Common Files\System\wab32.dll. I am totally flummoxed.

How on Earth can Windows and Oulook lose the reference.

Old July 5th 06, 08:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

I don't understand your question.
It seems to me that you found your wab32.dll, right?
You are asking an Outlook Express question here.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
oups.com...

Old July 6th 06, 10:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
[email protected]

I am not asking an Outlook Express question. Outlook Express has no
difficulty in finding the address book. It is Outlook that can't find
it. Outlook uses the same address book as a shared file and dll. This
can be proved by examining the stored addresses via both software
packages, (provided you are not suffering the same problem as me!).
They are identical.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
I don't understand your question.
It seems to me that you found your wab32.dll, right?
You are asking an Outlook Express question here.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
oups.com...

Old July 6th 06, 07:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
[email protected]

Here are the istructions for curing the missing WAB DLL. I found a
suggestion on the web and used the following commands:

Start MenuProgramsaccessoriesCommand Prompt

Type: CD C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\

Type: regsvr32 wab32.dll

Problem solved, Outlook works again. It was an Outlook problem NOT an
Outlook Express problem.

wrote:
I am not asking an Outlook Express question. Outlook Express has no
difficulty in finding the address book. It is Outlook that can't find
it. Outlook uses the same address book as a shared file and dll. This
can be proved by examining the stored addresses via both software
packages, (provided you are not suffering the same problem as me!).
They are identical.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
I don't understand your question.
It seems to me that you found your wab32.dll, right?
You are asking an Outlook Express question here.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
oups.com...

Old July 6th 06, 09:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

False. You only thought so because Microsoft tricked you. You have been
using OE all along for address book functions. You still are. The
instructions I posted to fix the problem also work fine when followed
correctly. The instructions you used are also for OE.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
oups.com...

wrote:
I am not asking an Outlook Express question. Outlook Express has no
difficulty in finding the address book. It is Outlook that can't find
it. Outlook uses the same address book as a shared file and dll. This
can be proved by examining the stored addresses via both software
packages, (provided you are not suffering the same problem as me!).
They are identical.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
I don't understand your question.
It seems to me that you found your wab32.dll, right?
You are asking an Outlook Express question here.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
oups.com...

Old July 7th 06, 11:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
[email protected]

How can it possibly be an OE problem when OE had no trouble in finding
the address book? The fault was exhibited in my case and the others on
this page by Outlook, NOT OE. You may wish to to pursue an academic
argument from the MS point of view but I disagree with your diagnosis.
It was, if you wish to be pedantic over it, a registration problem,
which meant that Outlook could not find the reference as to where the
WAB DLL actually was. It was always in the right place but the method
by which Outlook accesses it prevented it from finding it.

The technique suggested where by OE is re-installed simply didn't work.
I tried it more than once and it failed every time. The method I
eventually used and detailed earler in this discussion worked first
time.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
False. You only thought so because Microsoft tricked you. You have been
using OE all along for address book functions. You still are. The
instructions I posted to fix the problem also work fine when followed
correctly. The instructions you used are also for OE.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
oups.com...

wrote:
I am not asking an Outlook Express question. Outlook Express has no
difficulty in finding the address book. It is Outlook that can't find
it. Outlook uses the same address book as a shared file and dll. This
can be proved by examining the stored addresses via both software
packages, (provided you are not suffering the same problem as me!).
They are identical.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
I don't understand your question.
It seems to me that you found your wab32.dll, right?
You are asking an Outlook Express question here.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
oups.com...