Using Outlook in Word

Old May 4th 06, 08:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
ab

Default Using Outlook in Word

I have a template for labels in Word 2003. When I insert addresses from
Outlook the format of the address is not how it appears to be on the address
cards. Sometimes, the name is 'back to front' - other times, it's correct.
Although I have been using Word extensively for years, using Outlook in this
way is rather new to me. I would appreciate some help, please.

Old May 4th 06, 09:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Clarify what you mean by "template." You need to pay attention to how you
created the address block in this template and to how you are actually
inserting the address.
To learn about ways to control how an Address is inserted into Word from
Outlook, take a look he
http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/insword.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q134901

More recent versions of Office (XP and 2003) are less predictable when it
comes to inserting addresses. Modifying AddressLayout in Word 2002/2003 will
apply only to addresses inserted into a document, but not to Envelopes or
Labels. The KB offers the following kludgy workaround:

Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old May 5th 06, 07:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
ab

This all looks so complicated for what I want!

The template I created was for the size of label I use - it has 3 labels
across and 8 down. I have been creating auto text entires in the template
for the contacts I use quite frequently but as the number grows, this won't
be very satisfactory.

I decided that the "insert address" button could be useful to insert
addresses from Outlook as I never want to do a complete mailmerge (from
Access). I type letters on a fairly individal basis so just need to open a
document based on my label template and insert the address in whichever cell
I have got to on my sheet of labels.

The problem is that sometimes the order of the contact name details varies -
e.g. John Smith Ltd can come out as "Ltd John Smith ...." Sometimes the
order is correct. There is no problem with the mailing address.
I have checked the details in Outlook and the names and mailing addresses
appear to be OK so I am not sure whether the problem is in Word or Outlook

Old May 5th 06, 10:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Examine how the Full Name field is parsed in Outlook for those Contacts that
do not print out in the order you want.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old May 5th 06, 11:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Judy Gleeson, MVP Outlook

Have you tried using both the First name and the Last name fields to
overcome the problem where some are "back to front"

Judy Gleeson, MVP Outlook
Acorn Training and Consulting
www.acorntraining.com.au

Everyone - turn on your Advanced Toolbars and learn how to use the Field
Chooser and Group by Box!!

Old May 6th 06, 03:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
ab

I have discovered that if I enter the complete name as a Last Name in
Outlook, the problem is solved in Word. No idea why, though!