how can i transfer old contacts into a newly created contact form?

Old April 19th 06, 12:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Grnsld

Default how can i transfer old contacts into a newly created contact form?

I have created a new default form for my contact list. i have over 300
contacts and would like all of my contacts to use this new form. Can i
transfer them to the new form or do i have to re-enter everything. thanks in
advance for any input
Old April 19th 06, 03:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Karl Timmermans

If you are not using any user-defined fields for your contacts then you
simply need to rename the message class. If you have data in user-defined
fields and want that info included in your custom form, you will need to
export that info and re-import the data into a folder using the new custom
form.

To change message class - you can use ContactGenie Message Class Modifier
(free) - http://www.contactgenie.com/cgtmcm.htm. Alternative solutions to
doing that can also be found here - http://www.slipstick.com. Should you
need to export - a solution for that exists on our site as well.

Karl

Karl Timmermans - The Claxton Group
ContactGenie - Importer 1.3 / DataPorter 2.0 / Exporter
"Power contact importers/exporters for MS Outlook '2000/2003"
http://www.contactgenie.com

Old April 19th 06, 04:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Why would you export/import? As long as the new form has the same fields as the existing contacts, just changing the MessageClass property value on the existing items should be sufficient.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Old April 19th 06, 07:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Karl Timmermans

Sue, in answer to your question, made the comment essentially because we've
rec'd a few reports (out of a great many users) where user-defined fields
weren't picked up when the message class changed but unfortunately we didn't
have the luxury of getting the raw data (PST file) to find out why (whether
it's because there was actually a slight name variation or field type
difference or some other potential cause - don't know, just know what we
were told and how the end user was able to get at their data in these
isolated cases. All that CG-MCM (our Message Class Modifier) does (like any
of the other tools which exist that ultimately perform the same function) is
simply change the message class - no more - no less.

Just for the record, we don't recommend exporting unless there's a real good
reason for it even tho we now also sell an export product (as is also
clearly noted on our website and in our Help file for the product). Fully
agree that most of the reasons that people import/export for reasons
described here in the forum can be better accomplished in other ways that
are much better for what they are trying to accomplish.