Getting error (0x8004210A)

Old March 13th 08, 02:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Jim May

Default Getting error (0x8004210A)

Recently, with my OL 2003 I'm getting after SEND/RECEIVE

Task 'JMayMail - Receiving' reported error (0x8004210A) : 'The operation
timed out waiting for a response from the receiving (POP) server. If you
continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or
Internet service provider (ISP).'

My ISP - "says" - they DO NOT Support MS OL - Only OL Express -- What Can I
do?

Old March 13th 08, 10:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Hal Hostetler [MVP-P/I]

Your ISP is rather full of baloney and their statement suggests they are
lazy, ignorant, or both. The most common cause is an email
AntiVirus/AntiSpam scanner having a problem. If you're running an AV
application and it's set to scan email, disable this feature, it is
redundant, not needed, and only serves to create email problems where there
are none. Depending on the application, you may have to un-install it, then
re-install it WITHOUT the email scanning module:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813518/en-us
Error message when you view a POP3 e-mail account with antivirus
software installed: The operation timed out waiting for a response from the
receiving (POP) server 0x8004210a

Other causes and troubleshooting techniques are listed he

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813514/en-us
How to troubleshoot error messages that you receive when try to send and
receive e-mail in Outlook and in Outlook Express

What version of Windows are you using?

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE --

Old March 14th 08, 11:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Jim May

Hal -- Thanks for your response,, Most helpful

I'm Windows XP - Home Edition
Also have installed Trend Micro Internet Security Pro
Program Version: 16.05.1039

I've been poking around inside TMISP - both Firewall
and e-mail settings (I think it is the Firewall) looking for
a switch to turn off the incoming e-mail scans, but I haven't
found it IN SIMPLE FORM.

I'm today going to try and get TM's direct help..
Again Thanks for your help and time..

Jim