Outlook 2007 Missing members in Distribution Lists

Old April 10th 07, 09:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Jersey_Roger

Default Outlook 2007 Missing members in Distribution Lists

I have just moved from Outlook 2000 to Windows Vista and Outlook 2007. I use
distribution list extensively and find that in moving to Outlook 2007
numerous lists have members missing, although the contact records for the
missing members are in the contacts list. I have tried moving the Outlook.pst
a few times from the original to Outlook 2007 but always with the same
result. I have also moved it to Outlook 2003 and still end up with missing
members.
Old April 10th 07, 10:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

You never said what you did or how are you migrated the data.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old April 11th 07, 07:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Jersey_Roger

First time was using the Vista Easy Transfer wizard, subsequently just copied
the original outlook.pst file to the Vista machine.

Old April 11th 07, 10:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Both methods would be expected to lose or corrupt DL's.
Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data backup or transfer:
http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm
http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm

Old April 11th 07, 10:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Jersey_Roger

I set up a new user under Vista then imported the Outlook 2000 pst file - my
distribution lists are there but none of them have any members, worse than
before. Do I really need to "export" from Outlook 2000 and then import into
2007?

Old April 13th 07, 04:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Brian Tillman

Jersey_Roger wrote:

I set up a new user under Vista then imported the Outlook 2000 pst
file - my distribution lists are there but none of them have any
members, worse than before. Do I really need to "export" from Outlook
2000 and then import into 2007?

Exporting and importing will almost always break DLs, as has been described
countless times in the Outlook newsgroups. Never export to or import from a
PST to transfer Outlook Data. Since you want to use an OL 2000 PST in OL
2007, just open it there with FileOpenOutlook Data File.
--
Brian Tillman

Old April 13th 07, 06:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Jersey_Roger

Well that is exacly where I started, and I've tried it three times on
different machines to Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007 and in all cases only
some of the members of the distribution lists are not transferred to the new
instance. It really is staggering that this doesn't work. A little more time
understanding and improving upgrade paths would be welcomed over yet another
"new look".

Old April 16th 07, 01:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Brian Tillman

Jersey_Roger wrote:

Well that is exacly where I started, and I've tried it three times on
different machines to Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007 and in all cases
only some of the members of the distribution lists are not
transferred to the new instance. It really is staggering that this
doesn't work. A little more time understanding and improving upgrade
paths would be welcomed over yet another "new look".

If you perform the transfer correctly, it will always work 100% every time.
--
Brian Tillman