Install Outlook on external hard drive

Old September 19th 06, 04:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Headhunter

Default Install Outlook on external hard drive

Hi,

I want to install Outlook 2003 on an external hard drive and run it from
there...I'm hoping I can do the following: use email for my personal
accounts (yahoo & gmail), contacts, calendar, and tasks. I also want to sync
to my smartphone via activesync. Is this possible? Also, once I unplug my
hard drive from my laptop, will there be any trace that I used Outlook?

Thank you in advance.

Old September 19th 06, 08:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Brian Tillman

Headhunter wrote:

I want to install Outlook 2003 on an external hard drive and run it
from there...

It can't be done. While much of Outlook's files can be placed there, may of
them cannot. There is no such thing as an Outlook you can carry with you
that way (without a Tablet PC or a PDA).

I'm hoping I can do the following: use email for my
personal accounts (yahoo & gmail), contacts, calendar, and tasks. I
also want to sync to my smartphone via activesync. Is this possible?
Also, once I unplug my hard drive from my laptop, will there be any
trace that I used Outlook?

Most Windows-based applications, especially those from Microsoft, leave
tracks all over - in the Windows folder, in the System32 folder, in the
registry, and so on.
--
Brian Tillman

Old September 20th 06, 12:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Headhunter

Thank you Brian.

One more question: In order to erase my tracks completely, what
folders/files would I have to delete so that nobody could track/trace my
outlook data?

Old September 20th 06, 01:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Hal Hostetler [MVP-P/I]

Outlook's data file names and locations are listed he

http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm
http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm

You would also need to clean Outlook program and profile data out of the
registry.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE --
Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP- Print /Imaging -- WA7BGX

Old September 20th 06, 07:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Brian Tillman

Headhunter wrote:

Thank you Hal. What is the best way to clean up the registry?

Some versions of Office have clean-up tools available from Microsoft. I
don't know if Office 2003 does. You could use REGEDIT to remove all
references to Outlook and the mail profile.
--
Brian Tillman