Outlook Banter

-   Outlook - Installation (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-installation/)
-   -   Import emails into Outlook 2003 (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-installation/2703-import-emails-into-outlook-2003-a.html)

old codger February 26th 06 04:44 PM

Import emails into Outlook 2003

Due to a problem, I had to reinstall Windows XP Home and, in the process,
lost Outlook 2003 (and other things!). After reinstalling Outlook, I then
wanted to restore all my mailbox emails and address book from the archive. I
found this in D:\My Documents\Personal Folders and set Outlook up to import
this. However, when I tried, I got an error message:
YOU DON'T HAVE APPROPRIATE PERMISSION TO PERFORM THIS OPERATION.
I was advised to try:
CTL PAN-INTERNET OPTIONS-PROGRAMS TAB-RESET WEB SETTINGS which I did, but
it didn't make any difference.
I also tried: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421 which,
unfortunately, didn't help.
I've never met this problem with Windows before (only Linux!).

Can anyone please help me to retrieve my emails, etc?

Thanks

old codger

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] February 26th 06 04:58 PM

Import emails into Outlook 2003

You should never import Outlook data. Just find and open your Outlook data
file.
The file you need is your Personal Folders file (*.pst) It's where all the
mail, calendar, contacts etc are stored.

Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data backup or transfer:
http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm
http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm

Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]