Import emails into Outlook 2003

Old February 26th 06, 05:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
old codger

Default Import emails into Outlook 2003

Due to a problem, I had to reinstall Windows XP Home and, in the process,
lost Outlook 2003 (and other things!). After reinstalling Outlook, I then
wanted to restore all my mailbox emails and address book from the archive. I
found this in D:\My Documents\Personal Folders and set Outlook up to import
this. However, when I tried, I got an error message:
YOU DON'T HAVE APPROPRIATE PERMISSION TO PERFORM THIS OPERATION.
I was advised to try:
CTL PAN-INTERNET OPTIONS-PROGRAMS TAB-RESET WEB SETTINGS which I did, but
it didn't make any difference.
I also tried: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421 which,
unfortunately, didn't help.
I've never met this problem with Windows before (only Linux!).

Can anyone please help me to retrieve my emails, etc?

Thanks

old codger
Old February 26th 06, 05:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

You should never import Outlook data. Just find and open your Outlook data
file.
The file you need is your Personal Folders file (*.pst) It's where all the
mail, calendar, contacts etc are stored.

Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data backup or transfer:
http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm
http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm

Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]