Outlook unable to connect to exchange server

Old February 6th 06, 12:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
gsj

Default Outlook unable to connect to exchange server

Hi, I recenlty set up a new exchange 2003 server at a SME site in place of
their old POP3 server. Outlook 2003 has been installed on all client pcs and
is working fine on all but three of them. On these three when attempting to
set up the connection to the exchange server using the mail applet in the
control panel the user name won't resolve and I get the message:
"Outlook could not log on. Check to make sure you are connected to the
network and are using a proper server and mailbox name. The connection to the
MS Exchange Server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or
connected to complete this action."
DNS resolves the exchange server name just fine, and I put a hosts file
entry for the exchange server on the PCs in question, just in case. I also
tried removing and reinstalling the TCP/IP stack on the pcs in question as
this has proved helpful in the past. It did not help in this instance. The
PCs concerned have no firewall type s/w running on them.

Does anyone have any idea what else I could do to resolve this.

thanks

Gordon