how to install or set up a newsgroup reader for Microsoft Outlook

Old January 10th 06, 06:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
SLOPPY_LOPPY

Default how to install or set up a newsgroup reader for Microsoft Outlook

Never in my own life have I ever used nor thought of using a newsgroup. This
is an SOS for the MVP's or a general user with forknowledge of this. I would
be GLADLY sent to a tutorial or just have a bunch of instructions. I am on my
own for this one so be patient as I am newbie to the INNER WORKINGS of
Microsoft Office (XP)2002.
By no means am I an "idiot" though. Just need some major direction on set
up, configuring, security etc.

If I am the wrong room, let me know by email. I will be checking ALL the
time for your comments. As for other help, THIS SITE ROCKS!!!

Yours sincerly,

SLOPPY_LOPPY
Old January 10th 06, 11:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Galen

In ,
SLOPPY_LOPPY had this to say:

Never in my own life have I ever used nor thought of using a
newsgroup. This is an SOS for the MVP's or a general user with
forknowledge of this. I would be GLADLY sent to a tutorial or just
have a bunch of instructions. I am on my own for this one so be
patient as I am newbie to the INNER WORKINGS of Microsoft Office
(XP)2002.
By no means am I an "idiot" though. Just need some major direction on
set up, configuring, security etc.

If I am the wrong room, let me know by email. I will be checking ALL
the time for your comments. As for other help, THIS SITE ROCKS!!!

Yours sincerly,

SLOPPY_LOPPY

I'm not 100% certain on this - someone will correct me - but... Office 2002
doesn't have NNTP abilities - there are third party apps but I hear that
those are all pretty buggy - and hasn't since 2000. For reading newsgroups
you'll need to use a newsgroup reader. You have that capability - it's
called Outlook Express.

Access MS Newsgroups:
http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/msnewsgroups.html

For using OE with just the newsgroups enabled:

Start
Run
Type "msimn /outnews"
Press Enter or click Okay

For more information on how to use that command in a shortcut and maybe
assigning it a function key (I kind of wrapped it all in one) you can look
he

Function Keys:
http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/functionkeys.html

Of course, I could be wrong, and Office 2002 could actually have been the
last version to support NNTP! g

--
Galen - MS MVP - Windows (Shell/User & IE)
http://dts-l.org/

"We approached the case, you remember, with an absolutely blank mind,
which is always an advantage. We had formed no theories. We were simply
there to observe and to draw inferences from our observations." -
Sherlock Holmes

Old January 10th 06, 06:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Brian Tillman

SLOPPY_LOPPY wrote:

Never in my own life have I ever used nor thought of using a
newsgroup. This is an SOS for the MVP's or a general user with
forknowledge of this. I would be GLADLY sent to a tutorial or just
have a bunch of instructions. I am on my own for this one so be
patient as I am newbie to the INNER WORKINGS of Microsoft Office
(XP)2002.
By no means am I an "idiot" though. Just need some major direction on
set up, configuring, security etc.

You can add the News item to the Go menu and Outlook will, by default, use
Outlook Express to read news. Some additional information is he

http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/news.htm
--
Brian Tillman