Corrupt inbox in Microsoft Outlook

Old February 6th 06, 11:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Claudia Mormino

Default Corrupt inbox in Microsoft Outlook

The 'inbox' turns a tan color and says unable to display folder.Errors have
been detected. The recommended fix hasn't worked.
Claudia

Old February 7th 06, 01:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Claudia Mormino wrote:

The 'inbox' turns a tan color and says unable to display
folder.Errors have been detected. The recommended fix hasn't worked.

And what is the "recommended" fix that you tried? How about the version of
Outlook? WHat type of account(s)? PST or Exchnage mailbox?
--
Brian Tillman

Old February 7th 06, 12:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Claudia Mormino

I am using Microsoft Outlook 2003, Professional. The message on the tan
inbox screen - "Unable to display the folder. Errors have been detected in
the file C:\Documents and Settings\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst. Quit Outlook and all mail-enabled
applications, and then use the Inbox repair tool (Scanpst.exe) to diagnose
and repair errors in the file. For more information about the Inbox repair
tool, see Help." I did a search and found 'SCANPST.EXE_002_1033' but I
don't know what to do with any of it. I am not very "techie".
Claudia

Old February 7th 06, 03:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Claudia Mormino wrote:

I did a
search and found 'SCANPST.EXE_002_1033' but I don't know what to do
with any of it. I am not very "techie".

Well, then, you didn't use the recommended fix like you claim, since you
didn't run the Inbox Repair Tool. Open Windows Explorer and enter

%CommonProgramFiles%\system\MSMAPI\1033

in the Address field. Click Go. You should find a program named
SCANPST.EXE. Run that program (i.e., double-click it) and it will prompt
you with a browser window. Browse to your PST (i.e. C:\Documents and
Settings\yourname\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst), select it, and click OK. Post back
your results.
--
Brian Tillman

Old February 7th 06, 05:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Claudia Mormino

I originally did the Inbox Repair Tool and also what you just recommended. I
think something is missing. When I get to SCANPST.EXE, it says Windows
cannot open the file. I tried to restore my computer to a date previous to
the incident. That did not work either.

I am totally frustrated, mainly because I have such little knowledge of the
technical workings of computers. Should I be so drastic as to remove Office
2003 Professional and then reinstall it? Thank you for trying to help me.

Old February 8th 06, 03:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Claudia Mormino wrote:

I originally did the Inbox Repair Tool

What you said was " did a search and found 'SCANPST.EXE_002_1033' but I
don't know what to do with any of it." How does that constitute using the
Inbox Repair Tool?

When I get to SCANPST.EXE, it says Windows cannot open the file.

Which file, SCANPST.EXE or yout PST? Please describe EXACTLY what you're
doing, EXACTLY what you see and when you see it.

I tried to restore my computer to a date previous to the incident. That
did not work either.

I'm not surprised. System Restore points don't keep track of data files.

Should I be so drastic as to remove Office 2003 Professional and then
reinstall it?

Were I in your shoes, I'd consider it. Save the PST before you do by
copying it to another Windows folder.
--
Brian Tillman

Old February 8th 06, 12:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Claudia Mormino

Thanks for you input Brian. I can tell you are frustrated with my lack of
knowledge. My son-in-law tried to fix it and couldn't. I removed and
reinstalled Microsoft Office three different ways (traditional, adding a
character to the location to change its place in the hard drive and copying
the disc to a desktop folder and installing from there. None of these
changed a thing. We think there may be a corrupt spot on the hard drive. I
do appreciate all of your advice.

Old February 8th 06, 04:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Claudia Mormino wrote:

I can tell you are frustrated with my lack of knowledge.

Not really. What would help, however, is a precise description of what you
see and when you see it, including the exact steps you've tried. It's hard
to diagnose issues long-distance when you can't see what's happening.

My son-in-law tried to fix it and couldn't. I
removed and reinstalled Microsoft Office three different ways
(traditional, adding a character to the location to change its place
in the hard drive and copying the disc to a desktop folder and
installing from there. None of these changed a thing.

If you want to continue pursuing it, post back.

We think there may be a corrupt spot on the hard drive.

The symptoms you describe don't indicate that, in my opinion, but it
wouldn't hurt to run CHKDSK if you wish. Open My Computer, right-click your
hard drive, choose Properties, then Tools, and click Check Now. Check the
box labeled "Automatically fix file systejm errors" and click Start. When
you get the pop-up that says the check can't be performed now and that it
will be performed the next time the system starts, click Yes. Reboot.
--
Brian Tillman