Oversized pst

Old June 3rd 09, 07:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Tony Cannizzo

Default Oversized pst

I recently had to re-build my laptop. Backed everythning up. Including my
3.3GB pst which was working fine.

After re-installing, I was confronted with errors when trying to use the
pst, and also when trying to import from it.

I always heard there was a size restriction, but never had a problem with
it.

If I knew in advance that I wouldn't be able to use it, I would have broken
it out into multiple psts. But now I am stuck.

I have a monthly backup scheme and was able to import my March pst, but lost
my April and May emails.

Is there any way to extract the last 2 months from my 3.3GB pst?

Thanks

Old June 3rd 09, 07:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
K. Orland[_2_]

What version of Outlook are you using? There is a limit on PST size of 2 GB
but that applies to Outlook 2002 and earlier. Later versions do not have
this particular size restriction.

Have you tried scanning the PST for errors with Outlook closed? If you
burned the PST to a CD, did you remove the read only attribute?

.. .

Old June 3rd 09, 07:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Tony Cannizzo

2007

Haven't tried burning to a CD, it is on an external hard drive. I suppose I
would have to burn it to a DVD?

I have run SCANPST.EXE and in the 2nd pass looking for lost data I get an
error message and it cannot complete.

Old June 3rd 09, 08:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
K. Orland[_2_]

It doesn't matter what removable media you use to transfer the information
on. I don't think one is preferable to another. Try copying the data locally
onto the C drive and scanning if you haven't done that already.

Old June 3rd 09, 08:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
K. Orland[_2_]

What is the error message that you get when you scan?

Also, don't import your PST. Use File Open. Importing can cause some data
issues.

Old June 4th 09, 04:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Tony Cannizzo

The message which occurs in phase 6 just about at the 100% mark, says:
i: An error has occurred which caused the scan to be stopped. No changes
have been made to the scanned file.

I have also tried opening the file as well as importing and Outlook doesn't
like either of them.

tc

Old June 7th 09, 12:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook][_2_]

Have you tried running ckdsk /r against your hard drive from the command
prompt? You may have your .pst sitting on a bad sector on your hard drive
as well.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

ALWAYS post your Outlook version.

After furious head scratching, Tony Cannizzo asked:

Old June 22nd 09, 10:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Jouni

Hi!

I have also this oversized PST problem.
Have anyone found a solution yet?

Have anyone tried out those commercial solutions (AOR etc.)?
Or have you got any help from those free version (www.slipstick.com etc.)?
Any luck with those?

Waiting for your replies!

---

Old June 22nd 09, 01:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

The solution is not let it get that big - if it does, you need to chop it so
its smaller then run scanpst
(http://www.slipstick.com/problems/repair2gbpst.asp). I'm not aware of any
free repair tools that work on oversized pst files without chopping them
down to size (most offer a 'free' trial - usually recovering a few items so
you can see if it works before buying). The one free one only works if the
pst can be opened in outlook.

Once you chop the oversized file down to size, you need to run scanpst on
it - many people have better luck if they also run scandisk (see
http://www.slipstick.com/problems/scanpst.asp).

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email: