how do i "import contacts" without Email Addresses?

Old January 9th 06, 06:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Mike Bailey

Default how do i "import contacts" without Email Addresses?

I was wondering if someone knew how to add a placeholder email address to
all contacts? SharePoint wont seem to allow you to import contacts that do
not have
a email address, and I have a client with 4800 contacts and about 90% don't
have email addresses. Manually entering a email address for each would be a
giant pain. I'm wondering if there a tool or option in outlook that will
simply add " to all contacts that do not have anything in
their email field? Maybe there is away to import the contacts without a
email address, i cant seem to find it anywhere. I have searched high and low
and cant seem to find
anything. Thanks in advance for you help!

Old January 10th 06, 12:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Judy Gleeson MVP Outlook

Here's a workaround:

Use a table view EG Phone List, then Group the Contacts By Email address,
minimised, then give one the the people with no address the addresss
. Drag all other without an address into the group

Read my footer if you don't know the Group By function.

Judy Gleeson [MVP Outlook]
Acorn Training and Consulting
www.acorntraining.com.au

Everyone - turn on your Advanced Toolbars and learn how to use the Field
Chooser and Group by Box!!

"Mike Bailey" wrote in
message ...

Old January 10th 06, 05:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Mike Bailey

thanks for the feedback, sorry for the cross group posting, i was getting
told to put as it in different groups, so i tried a bunch at once.

That works for every field but not the actual email address, it wont let me
drag and drop based on email addresses. its gives me a circle with a line
through it. if i do anything else like phone, fax or whatever, it allows me
to do that. is this a setting? or is it something with my outlook and
exchange, even though this is not the GAL, its just a personal one.

Old January 10th 06, 06:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
[email protected]

don't know if this will help you. i had the same problem, someone in
this group (jokingly) suggested a dummy email address, i put the same
dummy address in each contact without a legitimate email address,
solved my problem.

"

Old January 11th 06, 10:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Judy Gleeson MVP Outlook

Can you copy and paste into thousands at once?? Maybe try Cut, then
select a whole heap and try paste?

Sorry - I didn't try my previous suggestion - obviously if it won't do it,
Outlook is treating the email field in a special way - darn!