Outlook E-mail not being sent immediately

Old May 6th 09, 08:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Ben M. Schorr - MVP (OneNote)

Default Outlook E-mail not being sent immediately

Diane is absolutely right - under normal circumstances e-mail sent
through your Exchange server should be sent immediately. We just need
to get to the bottom of why it's not.

I didn't see if you mentioned what version of Outlook you're using.
Also at the bottom right corner of Outlook, is a status indicator that
should say "Connected to Microsoft Exchange" (exact verbiage may depend
slightly upon your Outlook version). The tricky bit is that you say
that most of the time it works fine - but have you ever noticed if that
indicator ever changes to "Offline" or "Disconnected" or something like
that?

Do you know if during the period when the e-mail in question was delayed
if other e-mail messages were flowing normally?

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP

"Brad" wrote in message
:

Diane,

I checked "Properties" for both the entry in the "Sent" folder and the entry
in the "Inbox" folder. I double checked that the Message ID was the same for
both of them (it was).

Both the sent and received date-time stamps are 5/1/2009 12:31PM for the
entry in the "Sent" folder.

Both the sent and received date-time stamps are 5/4/2009 2:16 PM for the
entry in the "Inbox" folder.

I will talk with the person who handles our e-mail admin the next time he is
onsite.

All I really need is a way to force an e-mail to be sent immediately.

Thanks,
Brad

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

It's possible but it could just as easily be another problem.

Has anyone checked the server logs to see when it was submitted to exchange?

Are you sure you are looking at the sent field in the inbox, and not the
received field?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point your
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

"Brad" wrote in message

Diane,

Yes, we use Exchange.

I followed your instructions and I can see the "Ost" entry.
As I understand your reply, this means that we are using "cached mode".

Does this mean that e-mails might be sitting in cache for a long time
before
they are actually sent? If so, how can I force an e-mail to be sent
immediately?

Thanks a bunch for your assistance, I really appreciate it.

Brad

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

Are you using Exchange server? If so, go to file, data file management
and
see if there is an ost assigned to your exchange acct. The entry will
read
"Mailbox - Your Name | outlook.ost in [C:\\path]" - that means cached
mode.

If you donâ?Tt use exchange, then you aren't using either mode.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point
your
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

"Brad" wrote in message

Diane,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Exchange cached or classic mode?

I am not sure. I work for a very small firm. The person who handles
Outlook administration is a contractor who is onsite very little. How
can
discern if we are "Cached or Classic"?

Thanks,
Brad

PS. I would guess that others have seen delays in the sending of
e-mails
via Outlook and that the cause may be tied to whether we are cached or
classic, right?

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

Exchange cached or classic mode?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point
your
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

"Brad" wrote in message

I have a strange problem that I really could use some help with.

I have an automated routine that checks every 15 minutes to see if a
specific portion of our corporate website is working properly (we
have
been
having some SQL-Server issues, but that is another story).

Anyway, if this routine detects an outage, it passes a message to
Outlook
in
order to shoot e-mails to two key people in order to notify them
that
the
website is having a problem. This process works great, 98% of the
time.
Every once in a while, however, Outlook does not send out the e-mail
immediately. In once recent case, the message was not send for over
6
hours.

If I look at the Outlook â?oSentâ?ť folder, it appears that the
e-mail was
sent
immediately (Sent Mon 5/4/2009 2:15PM). However, if I look at this
same
message in the Outlook â?oInboxâ?ť folder I see thisâ?¦ (Sent Mon
5/4/2009
8:33PM).
It is like this message was in limbo for over 6 hours.

It is important that our key players are notified immediately when a
web
outage is detected.

I am really baffledâ?¦

I have a theory that this delay is somehow tied to the fact that
this
particular e-mail account has very little traffic.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Brad

Old May 6th 09, 05:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brad

Ben,

Thanks for your assistance.

We are using Outlook 2007.

When I open Outlook, I see the message in the lower right "Connected to
Microsoft Exchange". I have not paid much attention to this message in the
past. I do not know if it has ever indicated something other than connected.

The problem I am trying to resolve involves an unattended automated routine
that checks a specific web site page every 15 minutes. If it detects an
error, it uses Outlook to send emails to two key people. Most of the time,
the web-checker routine does not detect an error and no emails are needed.
When a time-out is detected on the web site, emails are sent. Most of the
time, these emails are sent immediately. Once in a while, they are not sent
immediately and that is what I am trying to figure out and fix.

Yesterday I modified that way in which the automated routine was
comminicating with Outlook. Instead of just using the "MAILTO:" command, I
decided to use an alternative method and actually fire up Outlook.EXE and
then similate the sending of the e-mail just as if a person was doing it by
hand. This took several more lines of code, but I believe that it is less
likely that this method will have problems. I could be wrong, but I thought
that it was worth a shot.

Thanks again,

Brad

:

"Brad" wrote in message

[...]

If I look at the Outlook â?oSentâ? folder, it appears that the
e-mail was
sent
immediately (Sent Mon 5/4/2009 2:15PM). However, if I look at this
same
message in the Outlook â?oInboxâ? folder I see thisâ?¦ (Sent Mon

Old May 6th 09, 06:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
John

"Brad" wrote in message

The problem I am trying to resolve involves an unattended automated
routine
that checks a specific web site page every 15 minutes.

Perhaps the problem is in the automated routine itself. Don't rule it out so
soon.

Yesterday I modified that way in which the automated routine was
comminicating with Outlook. Instead of just using the "MAILTO:" command,
decided to use an alternative method and actually fire up Outlook.EXE and
then similate the sending of the e-mail just as if a person was doing it
by
hand. This took several more lines of code, but I believe that it is less
likely that this method will have problems. I could be wrong, but I
thought
that it was worth a shot.

That sounds like a recorded macro. Is there a way to change the routine to
not use Outlook and send email directly to an Exchange SMTP server?