Outlook 2997 how to delete messages

Old March 19th 09, 10:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
snomazushi

Default Outlook 2997 how to delete messages

Outlook 2007 Windows Vista Home Premium

I recently upgraded my PC to Vista and I have Outlook 2007.

The messages I want to delete in my inbox mailbox (IMAP) cannot be deleted
with one "delete" operation. With previous versoin of Outlook (2003), when I
wanted to delete unnecessary messages, all I had to highlight that message
and press the delete button.

With Outlook 2007, I can highlight and mark the messages, press the delete
button and the messages will show lines crossed horizontally on the subject
lines. But how do I permanently delete these messsages?

How can I insert an one touch button to my menu bar so the operation to
delete unnecessary messages are simpler?

Thanking in advance for someone's help!

sn

Old March 20th 09, 03:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Peter Foldes[_2_]

With Outlook 2007, I can highlight and mark the messages, press the delete button
and the messages will show lines crossed horizontally on the subject lines. But how
do I permanently delete these messsages?

You hit Send\Receive when as you say the lines are crossed horizontally
--
Peter

Old March 20th 09, 08:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Gordon[_6_]

"snomazushi" wrote in message
Outlook 2007 Windows Vista Home Premium

I recently upgraded my PC to Vista and I have Outlook 2007.

The messages I want to delete in my inbox mailbox (IMAP) cannot be deleted
with one "delete" operation. With previous versoin of Outlook (2003), when
I wanted to delete unnecessary messages, all I had to highlight that
message and press the delete button.

With Outlook 2007, I can highlight and mark the messages, press the delete
button and the messages will show lines crossed horizontally on the
subject lines. But how do I permanently delete these messsages?

That's the way IMAP functions. IMAP email accounts mirror what is on the
server, therefore messages are not deleted until you synchronise with the
server. No way around that AFAIK...

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Old March 20th 09, 09:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Roady [MVP]

Sounds like you had your view set to "Hide messages marked for deletion"
View- Current View- ...

You can purge items marked for deletion manually via;
Edit- Purge- ...

In Outlook 2007 there is a new option which allows you to purge your items
automatically when switching folders;
Edit- Purge- Purge Options...

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

http://www.msoutlook.info/

-----

Old March 20th 09, 10:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
snomazushi[_2_]

Yes, that is the solution i was looking for. Thank you for your help.

sn
"Roady [MVP]" t wrote in
message ...

Old March 20th 09, 10:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
snomazushi[_2_]

BTW Robert, I did not have my view set to "Hide messages marked for
deletion".

I was able to see those messages that I had marked for deletion. What I did
not know was how to actually delete them from the mailbox but you had
answered on this, thanks once again.

"Roady [MVP]" t wrote in
message ...

Old March 20th 09, 12:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

"snomazushi" wrote in message

I recently upgraded my PC to Vista and I have Outlook 2007.

The messages I want to delete in my inbox mailbox (IMAP) cannot be deleted
with one "delete" operation. With previous versoin of Outlook (2003), when I
wanted to delete unnecessary messages, all I had to highlight that message
and press the delete button.

Simply not true. IMAP on Outlook has always required two steps to delete
anything. I suspect you were using the "Hide Messages Marked for Deletion"
view in the prior version. Use it again. You'll still need to click
EditPurge Deleted Items periodically to rid your mailbox of the messages
you've marked for deletion but are hiding with the view or, alternatively,
enable the new Outlook 2007 option that will purge automatically when you
change folders. It's an account property.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old May 23rd 09, 06:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
paul

The information on some of the follow-up posts is partially correct regarding
the IMAP protocol behavior in Outlook 2007. Some IMAP service will hide the
message automatically. For example, setting up google apps mail using the
IMAP protocol the messages will not show a line crossed horizontally on the
subject when a message is deleted. However, it’s still on the server until
the next time it syncs.
There is a solution to have the email appear deleted with one click of the
delete button for IMAP service that don’t automatically do it for you .
Here is how:
Step 1: First go to View then current view and click on the “Hide Messages
Marked for Deletion”.
Step 2: Go back to current view of “Hide Messages Marked for Deletion” and
click on “Customize Current View…” Under Description, click on the other
settings tab. Under the “Reading Pane” click on Right or Bottom (depending
on your view preference).
After this is completed any message you delete will “disappear” from your
folder like in outlook 2003.
Note: You will have to repeat these steps for each IMAP folder. Also,
under account setting in the General tap there is a purge option.

Old May 23rd 09, 12:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

You can apply a view globally - use the basic method he
http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/grouping.htm

FWIW, once outlook has the message in the pst, the mail server is clueless
to the deleted state until you sync changes back to it. Outlook is in total
control. If you look at the mailbox using a browser the server will
probably show you the message normally until you purge - it does on the imap
servers I use. They do not mark messages for delete - its deleted or not
deleted, no inbetween.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email: