Can Outlook Be Uninstalled -- With All Its Baggage?

Old September 8th 08, 10:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
D. Spencer Hines

Default Can Outlook Be Uninstalled -- With All Its Baggage?

Can Outlook Be Uninstalled -- With All Its Baggage?

Many don't need it now they have WLM, with forthcoming updates.
--
DSH
Lux et Veritas et Libertas

Old September 8th 08, 11:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
Gordon[_4_]

"D. Spencer Hines" wrote in message
Can Outlook Be Uninstalled -- With All Its Baggage?

Many don't need it now they have WLM, with forthcoming updates.

Of course......However WLM with Vista Calendar does NOT have all the
functionality of Outlook....

Old September 8th 08, 11:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
D. Spencer Hines

Understood.
--
DSH
Lux et Veritas et Libertas

Old September 9th 08, 12:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Sure - and it should be if you aren't using it.
See http://www.slipstick.com/Tutorials/u...ll/outlook.htm if you need
help doing it.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point your
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

Old September 9th 08, 01:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
D. Spencer Hines

Yes...

I haven't used it at all.

Does it use lots of disk space?

I have the whole nine yards installed.

I don't see the files for Outlook on my hard drive.

Is it important to remove it for reasons other than just Good
Housekeeping?
--
DSH
Lux et Veritas et Libertas

Old September 9th 08, 01:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

It's not terribly large - the biggest reason for removing it is that if its
installed then office updates will install the spam filter updates and that
sets outlook as default. That can be very annoying.

Old September 9th 08, 02:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
D. Spencer Hines

Yes, it is annoying.

But I just set it back to OE -- and now WLM -- after the update.

I must have done it 100 times by now.

Where are the Outlook files located?

I'm using XP Pro.

Old September 9th 08, 03:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook][_2_]

The data file where all Outlook items are kept is named the .pst file. You
may have several on your machine if you used archive. Look for the files
(hidden files) and delete them with Outlook closed.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After furious head scratching, D. Spencer Hines asked:

Old September 9th 08, 04:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
D. Spencer Hines

Thank you!

Why hide them so thoroughly?

OE is right out in the open -- under Program Files.
--
DSH
Lux et Veritas et Libertas

Old September 9th 08, 04:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
Earle Horton[_4_]

So the user can't find them. You have no idea what trouble computer users
can get into if they know things. Better advice is to right click on
Personal Folders, select Properties for "Personal Folders"..., click on
Advanced button, and go to the folder named in Filename.

The data files in OE are kept in the folder named in Tools, Options,
Maintenance, Store Folder. That is different for each user. I do not
remember the default location, but I don't think it is in Program Files.

Earle