How to email blast when ISP limits outbound number of messages?

Old September 7th 08, 07:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gregg Hill[_2_]

Default How to email blast when ISP limits outbound number of messages?

Diane,

How can one send to 500 people if one's ISP limits messages to about 50
recipients per message? I just had someone tell me that he has to break down
his email blast to his clients into groups of 25-30 or they will not send.
He has almost 500 people to whom he sends a monthly update.

No, he is not a spammer. These people are his legitimate clients.

Gregg Hill

Old September 7th 08, 08:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Ben M. Schorr - MVP (OneNote)

Either break it into groups that are within the ISPs limits, get a
different ISP that doesn't limit you, or use a 3rd party service that
will send out your e-mail blasts for you.

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP

Old September 7th 08, 01:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
TedMi

Another option is to set up a group on Yahoo or Google and enter the client's
addresses there. Yahoo limits you to signing up 100 addresses per day, so it
would take 5 days to load up all that you need.
--
TedMi

Old September 7th 08, 02:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

With a list that large, I'd look into using real list software. I'd avoid
yahoogroups for business, but there are apps you can run on your network
(and with your domain) that will send them 1 at a time... you may or may not
hit limits with the ISP though - some have min and/or hourly limits too.

You can use mail merge so only 1 name per message or a utility that slows
sending so you don't hit limits. See
http://www.slipstick.com/addins/massmail.asp for a list of utilities.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point your
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

Old September 7th 08, 02:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

I agree with Diane. Using a Yahoo or Google group isn't going to look
professional. Plus, given that you can expect a 10% bounce rate for any mass
mailing, does he really want to be going by hand through 50 or so
non-delivery reports every time to see who needs to be deleted from the list
or get an address update? Any purpose-built mass mailing application, whether
hosted or local, should be able to process those NDRs and make that task
easier. Some ISPs also offer Mailman or other list software as part of their
package; it doesn't hurt to ask.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming: Jumpstart

Old May 1st 10, 12:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
M.S. Hanenkrat

Default DoS and spam overload

Due to the constant DoS attacks on mail servers in the United States these days, ISP's are forced to limit the number of recipients per email. We used to limit the recipients to 100, then 50, and finally, today, it's down to 25.

If you must send out more emails,then break your lists down to whatever your ISP limits and send 10 to 20 emails with 25 recipients each. More than that, seek a professional email service.

Gregg Hill wrote:

How to email blast when ISP limits outbound number of messages?
07-Sep-08

Diane,

How can one send to 500 people if one's ISP limits messages to about 50
recipients per message? I just had someone tell me that he has to break down
his email blast to his clients into groups of 25-30 or they will not send.
He has almost 500 people to whom he sends a monthly update.

No, he is not a spammer. These people are his legitimate clients.

Gregg Hill

On Sunday, September 07, 2008 2:40 AM
Gregg Hill wrote:

How to email blast when ISP limits outbound number of messages?
Diane,

How can one send to 500 people if one's ISP limits messages to about 50
recipients per message? I just had someone tell me that he has to break down
his email blast to his clients into groups of 25-30 or they will not send.
He has almost 500 people to whom he sends a monthly update.

No, he is not a spammer. These people are his legitimate clients.

Gregg Hill

On Sunday, September 07, 2008 3:03 AM
Ben M. Schorr - MVP (OneNote) wrote:

Either break it into groups that are within the ISPs limits, get a different
Either break it into groups that are within the ISPs limits, get a
different ISP that doesn't limit you, or use a 3rd party service that
will send out your e-mail blasts for you.

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP
Roland Schorr & Tower
http://www.rolandschorr.com
http://www.officeforlawyers.com
Author - The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007:
http://tinyurl.com/5m3f5q

"Gregg Hill" greggmhill at please do not spam me at yahoo dot com
wrote in message :

On Sunday, September 07, 2008 8:09 AM
tedm wrote:

Another option is to set up a group on Yahoo or Google and enter the client's
Another option is to set up a group on Yahoo or Google and enter the client's
addresses there. Yahoo limits you to signing up 100 addresses per day, so it
would take 5 days to load up all that you need.
--
TedMi

"Ben M. Schorr - MVP (OneNote)" wrote:

On Sunday, September 07, 2008 9:17 AM
Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote:

With a list that large, I'd look into using real list software.
With a list that large, I'd look into using real list software. I'd avoid
yahoogroups for business, but there are apps you can run on your network
(and with your domain) that will send them 1 at a time... you may or may not
hit limits with the ISP though - some have min and/or hourly limits too.

You can use mail merge so only 1 name per message or a utility that slows
sending so you don't hit limits. See
http://www.slipstick.com/addins/massmail.asp for a list of utilities.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point your
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

"Gregg Hill" greggmhill at please do not spam me at yahoo dot com wrote in
message ...

On Sunday, September 07, 2008 9:53 AM
suemv wrote:

I agree with Diane.
I agree with Diane. Using a Yahoo or Google group isn't going to look
professional. Plus, given that you can expect a 10% bounce rate for any mass
mailing, does he really want to be going by hand through 50 or so
non-delivery reports every time to see who needs to be deleted from the list
or get an address update? Any purpose-built mass mailing application, whether
hosted or local, should be able to process those NDRs and make that task
easier. Some ISPs also offer Mailman or other list software as part of their
package; it doesn't hurt to ask.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming: Jumpstart

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

On Sunday, September 07, 2008 6:14 PM
Gregg Hill wrote:

Thank you to all who responded!
Thank you to all who responded!

Gregg Hill

Get Silverlight 4 Installed: Tips and Tricks
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...4-install.aspx
Old May 1st 10, 03:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

A mail merge and a utility the limits the number of messages per minute will
get past most isp limitations - unless they have a daily limit. But it
really is better to use a commercial service for large blasts. They'll send
a lot faster than outlook ever can.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

New Poll: What type of email account is your main account?

Old May 3rd 10, 01:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Tom Willett[_2_]

Reckon that poster from 2008 you are replying to will come back to see your
reply?

:
: If you must send out more emails,then break your lists down to whatever
your ISP limits and send 10 to 20 emails with 25 recipients each. More than
that, seek a professional email service.
:
:
:
: Gregg Hill wrote:
:
: How to email blast when ISP limits outbound number of messages?
: 07-Sep-08
:
: Diane,
:
: Gregg Hill wrote:
:
[...]
: --
:
:
: Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote:
:
: With a list that large, I'd look into using real list software.
: With a list that large, I'd look into using real list software. I'd avoid
: yahoogroups for business, but there are apps you can run on your network
: (and with your domain) that will send them 1 at a time... you may or may
not
: hit limits with the ISP though - some have min and/or hourly limits too.
:
: You can use mail merge so only 1 name per message or a utility that slows
: sending so you don't hit limits. See
: http://www.slipstick.com/addins/massmail.asp for a list of utilities.
:
: --
: Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
: Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
: Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
:
: Outlook Tips by email:
:
:
: EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
:

:
: You can access this newsgroup by visiting
:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point your
: newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
:
:
: "Gregg Hill" greggmhill at please do not spam me at yahoo dot com wrote
in
: message ...
:
: On Sunday, September 07, 2008 9:53 AM
: suemv wrote:
:
: I agree with Diane.
: I agree with Diane. Using a Yahoo or Google group isn't going to look
: professional. Plus, given that you can expect a 10% bounce rate for any
mass
: mailing, does he really want to be going by hand through 50 or so
: non-delivery reports every time to see who needs to be deleted from the
list
: or get an address update? Any purpose-built mass mailing application,
whether
: hosted or local, should be able to process those NDRs and make that task
: easier. Some ISPs also offer Mailman or other list software as part of
their
: package; it doesn't hurt to ask.
: --
: Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
: Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming: Jumpstart
: for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers
: http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx
:
:
:
:
: Gregg Hill wrote:
:
: Thank you to all who responded!
: Thank you to all who responded!
:
: Gregg Hill
:
:
: Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice