Hotfix 896498

Old January 31st 06, 01:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
La Pedrera

Default Hotfix 896498

A program is attempting to access e-mail addresses you have stored in
Outlook. Do you want to allow this?
If this is unexpected, it may be a virus and you should choose "No".

I'm getting the above error message and not able to fix it.
I'm tried installing the hotfix listed in the subject, but I'm not sure if
it has been applied.

Does it come up in the add remove programs list (once you select the box to
show updates)??

I'm using outlook 2003, SP2

Old January 31st 06, 01:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

You provided no information about *when* you're seeing this prompt. It is normal to see this prompt when certain external programs automate Outlook. See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup.htm#autosec to learn more about it.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Old January 31st 06, 01:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
La Pedrera

Sorry, it's coming up when trying to insert a file attachmet through our
document management software.
I'm aware it's "normal" as per microsoft, but there is also the hotfix,
which was more my question. Does that come up in the add / remove program
list..

...as part of my trouble shooting, I'm trying to confirm that that hotfix has
been applied, but I'm not sure how to confirm it.

"Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" wrote in message
You provided no information about *when* you're seeing this prompt. It is
normal to see this prompt when certain external programs automate Outlook.
See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup.htm#autosec to learn more about
it.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

ng.com...

Old January 31st 06, 02:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

La Pedrera wrote:

Sorry, it's coming up when trying to insert a file attachmet through
our document management software.
I'm aware it's "normal" as per microsoft, but there is also the
hotfix, which was more my question. Does that come up in the add /
remove program list..

http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/security/ provides a tool to help you control
this.

..as part of my trouble shooting, I'm trying to confirm that that
hotfix has been applied, but I'm not sure how to confirm it.

Control PanelAdd or Remove Programs should show the Hotfix if it's
installed if you check the "Show Updates" checkbox at the top.
--
Brian Tillman

Old January 31st 06, 03:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

See http://www.outlookcode.com/d/sec.htm for your options with regard to the "object model guard" security in Outlook 2000 SP2 and later versions.

The hotfix has nothing to do with this feature. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=8...24120121120120 for information on the files it changes. You can check their version numbers to know if it's been applied. If you have applied SP2, you have the hotfix.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

"La Pedrera" wrote in message ng.com...
Sorry, it's coming up when trying to insert a file attachmet through our
document management software.
I'm aware it's "normal" as per microsoft, but there is also the hotfix,
which was more my question. Does that come up in the add / remove program
list..

..as part of my trouble shooting, I'm trying to confirm that that hotfix has
been applied, but I'm not sure how to confirm it.

"Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" wrote in message
You provided no information about *when* you're seeing this prompt. It is
normal to see this prompt when certain external programs automate Outlook.
See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup.htm#autosec to learn more about
it.

ng.com...