Mail Merge for fax letters and contracts

Old November 28th 07, 03:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
shooter

Default Mail Merge for fax letters and contracts

I am in the process of switching from ACT to Outlook and want to set up a
template or mail merge where I can select a contact and have there
information automatically filled in for a letter, fax, or specific contract.
ACT had a very user freindly way of this happening, I can not seem to find
the correct help area in outlook to get me started.
Please help by getting to the correct help area or am I trying to accomplish
somthing that can not be done.
Old November 28th 07, 10:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

You failed to specify your Outlook version. It matters. Prior to Outlook
2007, there was a "New Letter to Contact" option in the Actions menu, but
you could not store any boilerplate text in any of these templates. This
feature has been removed entirely from Outlook 2007.
You can create and store a merge document, however, which you can use for a
mail merge to a Contact.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old November 28th 07, 08:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
shooter

Russ my version is 2003 for outlook and word, how do you creat a merge
document. I find it hard to beleive the outlook doesnot have a way to creat a
simpl fax cover sheet by selecting the client and a action to creat a fax and
or letter. Please advise

Old November 28th 07, 10:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Outlook is a PIM, not a CRM. It has never had CRM features. There are lots
of add-ins you can find for CRM features.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
news

Old November 29th 07, 05:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
shooter

Russ I do not know a crm from pim all I want to know is if I can accomplish
what I have said in the previuos questions. If you have an answer great I am
all ears.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

Outlook is a PIM, not a CRM. It has never had CRM features. There are lots
of add-ins you can find for CRM features.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
news

Old November 29th 07, 07:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

There isn't a good answer because Outlook is not a Customer Relations
Manager,and this is a CRM feature. As I said the closest thing to can come
to is to use Outlook's New Letter to Contact feature or create a merge
document for reuse with a Mail merge:
To send a Form Letter or use a Custom Template for a new letter to a
Contact, you can use the Letter wizard invoked with the Actions... New
Letter to Contact.

For your custom letter template to appear in the list of Page Designs in the
Microsoft Word Letter Wizard, the letter templates you create must be saved
in the "Letters & Faxes folder Word 97) or the Templates\1033 folder (Word
2000 or 2002). The word "Letter" must be in the file name. Details he
http://support.microsoft.com/support.../q181/2/73.asp
http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q197/3/40.ASP
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q210884
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q291186

Once you have set up your Custom Template(s) you should see it as a choice
when you use the New Letter to Contact option in Outlook.

You cannot load boilerplate text in the body of the letter template. You
must create AutoText entries for the boilerplate. The easiest
thing to do would be to create one template and load the text for each
letter under its own style -- see KB article Q170342 (WD97) or Q207925
(OL2000).

Take a look here for some other ways to merge Contact data to a new letter
to a Contact:
http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/startletter.htm

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"shooter" wrote in message
Russ I do not know a crm from pim all I want to know is if I can
accomplish
what I have said in the previuos questions. If you have an answer great I
am
all ears.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

Outlook is a PIM, not a CRM. It has never had CRM features. There are
lots
of add-ins you can find for CRM features.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
news