Outlook 2003 - iPhone - Daylight Savings Time

Old November 4th 07, 07:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Kate G.

Default Outlook 2003 - iPhone - Daylight Savings Time

I have been successful in syncing my Outlook 2003 with both my iPod and my
iPhone.

However, when I sync'd with the iPhone the first time -- it adjusted
appointment times by moving them ahead 1 hour (the actual time of the
appointment... I entered 9:30 -- it shows now as 8:30)

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there an add-in or other fix for this.

Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks....

--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kathryn Groves

Old November 4th 07, 10:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook][_2_]

Check with the iPhone and iTunes folks - not an Outlook issue. Outlook does not change times, nor does it have anything to do with synching. It is only the data repository.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Kate G. asked:

Old November 5th 07, 08:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Peter Durkee

I'm not sure how you can reach that conclusion. Yes, Outlook, is just a
repository, but it tracks appointments by their Greenwich times, and what it
shows in the calendar is its translation of the Greenwich time to whatever
your current timezone and daylight savings situation is. Furthermore, if the
appointment was originally entered in Outlook its Greenwich time is the
result of Outlook's interpretation of the timezone situation at the time it
was entered. In short Outlook may not change times, but it can certainly be
wrong about them.

The good news is that the problem is probably gone now, at least until next
spring.

-Peter

Old November 5th 07, 11:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook][_2_]

Okay, then test this. Install only Outlook, then try to sync it.

Can't? Of course not, it has no synching capabilities whatsoever.

It is completely dependent on the sync software to perform this function.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Peter Durkee asked:

Old November 6th 07, 12:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Peter Durkee

I'll grant you that...it's using iTunes to do the sync. Nevertheless, the
data comes from Outlook via a com addin, and it's either getting the wrong
Greenwich Mean time for the appointment from Outlook, or it's getting the
correct time, but misinterpreting it. I don't see how we can know which of
those possibilities is the correct one in this case.

Old November 6th 07, 04:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky

Since you said its fixed now, until next spring, one of the systems does not
have the correct time zone data installed. I presume iphones has the updates
tz data, since its so new... that means its more likely your windows system
was not updated.

What OS are you using?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

Old November 7th 07, 12:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]

The question can probably be answered by a quick check of the Time Zone and
Daylight Savings Time settings in both Outlook and Windows. One or both are
set incorrectly.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE --