no incoming attachments received with AVG on

Old October 27th 07, 09:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Alex

Default no incoming attachments received with AVG on

I am using Outlook (first 2003 then also 2007) and when I started using AVG
Free Anti-virus, no attachments and body-messages were being delivered to my
mailbox. The only thing on the email was that it was "scanned by AVG" ( don't
have any other AntiVirus).
The paper-clip isn’t there and in” File” the “Save Attachments” is
inoperative.
I had switched from McAfee to AVG because the former was slowing my PC
badly whilst the AVG is very efficient.
In my case, this problem is manifest on both Outlook 2003 and also Outlook
2007.(on the upgrade the problem remained there)

As a workaround, I found 2 options.

1) Either switch off "Email Scanning" - not advisable .. or
2) Use "Outlook Express" instead.

There are probably countless thousands of users using Outlook and AVG with
no problems at all and I personally know quite a few myself, so I am assuming
that the trouble is internal at my end.
Does anyone out there know of a simple solution to use "Outlook" and AVG’s
Email Scanning at the same time ??
Thanks for any help you can provide,
best regards
Alex

Old October 27th 07, 11:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
DL

Presumably you've completely uninstalled AVG, run an OL Detect/Repair, then
reinstalled AVG?
Sent a msg to yourself, with an attachment, to see if any err's are thrown
up?

Its been stated here on numerous occassions that the email scanning by an AV
plugin isnt neccessary, since the back ground scanning by your AV should
pick anything untoward up.

Old October 27th 07, 04:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Alex

Hi DL,
Did not try uninstall/install of AVG. Will try it out immediately. I did try
the Detect/Repair though ( with AVG installed, will try without)
However did not understand the bit about the AVG plug-in?
1) Do you mean that when I di-activated the AVG Email scanning, I
dis-activated a "plug-in?
2) You also seem to be implying that although I dis-activated the Email
Scanning function, AVG is still scanning them in the background. - Sounds a
bit contradictory to me but is AVG really still scanning my emails even after
I have switched off the function? - is my conclusion correct?

Lets face it , if my emails are still being monitored, then there is no
problem in the first place. My main worry was that to receive my attachments
in Outlook, I had to sacrifice on overall security.

I'm off to work on your suggestions - will keep you all posted with the
eventual results,
best regards,
Alex

Old October 28th 07, 03:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
DL

Your AV app will continue monitoring your sys even if the email plugin is
not installed - it wont scan mail, but if anything trys to install on your
sys it should be picked up.
Disabling the AV pluggin doesnt neccessarily cure a problem it may be
causing, often it is neccessary to completely uninstall the whole AV app in
order to properly remove the AV plugin

Old October 28th 07, 07:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Alex

Hi DL,
I followed your instructions and the problem regarding the loss of
Attachments has been fully solved. Many thanks for helping out !
However I seem to have another slight issue that seems to have cropped up.
When opening Outlook 2007, I am now getting a yellow line with "click here
to enable Instant Search"
After clicking this line, another window opens with the following:
"To enable Instant Search, you must download and install a component for
Windows Microsoft"
I obviously follow the instructions and download the said file:
"WindowsDesktopSearch-KB917013-V301-XP-x86-enu.exe"
However, after running the .exe file, another window opens with the
following message:
"Setup has failed. Make sure TERMINAL SERVICES are enabled before running
setup"
I do not know if all the above has anything to do with the original problem
but where do I enable these TERMINAL SERVICES from?
Thanks again for your help,
best regards,
Alex

Old October 29th 07, 12:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
DL

I do not know how / why / in what context Remote Services applies to OL2007
& the search tool

As far as I'm aware to access Remote Services; Control PanelSystem Applet
Remote tab