Outlook backup

Old June 28th 07, 04:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Amy

Default Outlook backup

Hello

I would like to have a nightly backup my outlook email (outlook 2003) from
my pc over my home network to another pc on the network.

Up until now, I've been doing an export to .pst file and backing that up.

Is that the best way or is there already a pre-existing file on my pc that I
can just simply copy to the other pc to backup email?

Thank you

Old June 28th 07, 05:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Remove ABCD from Email address to reply

You can just copy your pst file. In order to copy the pst file you must
exit Outlook first and make sure Outlook closes properly

--

Neil

Old June 28th 07, 05:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
-1

I had heard that there was a pst file on the pc, but a search of the drive
for *.pst does not reveal the existance of a pst. I have my pc set to show
all hidden files and folders.

That's why I've been doing an export each night and then backing up the
newly generated pst

"Remove ABCD from Email address to reply" wrote in
message ...

Old June 28th 07, 09:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Yes, simply copy the .pst file.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Amy asked:

Old June 28th 07, 02:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Christian Goeller

-1, you wrote on Thu, 28 Jun 2007 04:38:41 GMT:

I had heard that there was a pst file on the pc, but a search of the drive
for *.pst does not reveal the existance of a pst. I have my pc set to show
all hidden files and folders.

The file is usually stored in
C:\Documents and Settings\Local Settings\Application
Datas\Microsoft\Outlook

--
Best Regards
Christian Goeller
Old June 28th 07, 04:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
tim

Use Outlook to find out the exact location and name of the pst file. Go to
Tools - Options - Mail Setup - Data Files.

Tim

Old June 28th 07, 07:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Fuzzy Logic

"Amy" wrote in news:W1Ggi.69085$NV3.44976@pd7urf2no:

Hello

I would like to have a nightly backup my outlook email (outlook 2003)
from my pc over my home network to another pc on the network.

Up until now, I've been doing an export to .pst file and backing that
up.

Is that the best way or is there already a pre-existing file on my pc
that I can just simply copy to the other pc to backup email?

Thank you

Microsoft has a free tool that may help with this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...f-5a6322f4fd01

It adds a Backup option to the File menu in Outlook
Old June 29th 07, 03:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
-1

Thanks, I found it in the location detailed below under my user id. I'm not
sure why a search for *.pst never brought it up.

Is there any way to copy a pst file to another workstation on the network
for backup purposes while outlook is still open? If so, I can setup an
automated backup of this file on a nightly basis

Old June 29th 07, 03:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
tim

That's one of the exciting aspects of WinXP...you never know when search
will actually find what you are looking for.

You really must have Outlook closed (and make sure it closed "successfully")
to copy the pst file. It's like trying to copy an open database
file...shouldn't be done unless the backup utility is specifically written
to handle open files. I have a nightly batch process that backs up my pst
and if I forget to close Outlook for the night, it errors out with a "file
open" error.

Tim