To: box does not complete entry from address book

Old June 23rd 07, 11:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Jane

Default To: box does not complete entry from address book

I have just switched one of my e-mail accounts from OE to Outlook. When I try
to create a new message in Outlook, I start typing the name, but autocomplete
does not finish the entry. I have checked in Tools to make sure autocomplete
is turned on. The only way I can send a new message is to select the name
from the address book. In OE, all I had to do was to start typing the name in
the To: box. I must be missing something that is probably fairly obvious. To
make the switch, I copied my OE contacts into the Outlook Contacts folder.
Thanks for any help.
Old June 23rd 07, 11:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Default box does not complete entry from address book

Help with what? You are describing the expected behavior. This is Outlook,
not Outlook Express. Autocompletion in Outlook does not use Contacts data.
It uses a cache that you will populate as you send messages. You haven't
sent any messages, so you have no cache.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old June 23rd 07, 11:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Jane

Can you please explain how I populate the cache? As I type in a name in the
To: box, does it match a name in my contact list? I am trying to figure out
how to connect my To: box entry to an e-mail address.

Old June 24th 07, 12:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

I already did. Your cache is populated as you send messages. It does not use
your Contacts data. Help me understand what part of this you do not
understand.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Jane" wrote in message
Can you please explain how I populate the cache? As I type in a name in
the
To: box, does it match a name in my contact list? I am trying to figure
out

Old June 24th 07, 12:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Jane

If I understand you correctly, to send a message to a contact for the first
time, I would type the whole e-mail address . Then it would store
in the cache? How do I turn that entry into something like "John" for the
next time I type. Once I send a message, will the recipient show up in the
recipient box? So far there are no names in "select recipients."

"Jane" wrote in message
Can you please explain how I populate the cache? As I type in a name in
the
To: box, does it match a name in my contact list? I am trying to figure
out

Old June 24th 07, 03:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Yes. Just do it.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

"Jane" wrote in message
Can you please explain how I populate the cache? As I type in a name in
the
To: box, does it match a name in my contact list? I am trying to figure
out