PGP vs Digital IDs

Old January 26th 06, 10:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.exchange.misc,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.security
S. Pidgorny

Default PGP vs Digital IDs

Not oly every used needs software installed, but also they need to manage
key lists ad trust - whereas with commercial CAs trust is inherited from the
CA (which is being regularly audited to make sure process and infrastructure
are secure).

Some people may prefer to be fully in charge of their digital trust but
public PKI is so much easier.

--
Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MS MVP - Security, MCSE
-= F1 is the key =-

"Willem" wrote in message
Brian Tillman wrote:
Fredly wrote:

I like the Thawte free option...

I thought the Thawte certificate is free only for personal use and not
for use in a business environment, but checking their web site doesn't
seem to indicate there are any restrictions of that type. It's certainly
an option.

There is also a free GnuPG encryption application that is the Gnu version
of PGP (which was purchased by a company) and there's an Outlook plug-in
for GPG.

For $19,95 a year you can get a Verisign class 1 certificate. They use the
credit card details to 'authenticate' the person. This is a little
better/secure than the Thawte version (only the e-mail address gets
verified).
As far as I know there is no restriction on business use etc.

Drawback on PGP, GPG etc. is that every user needs to have some piece of
software installed. The advantage of x509 certificates is that almost
every e-mail client supports it.

The link is kinda hidden, because they rather sell you their services
http://www.verisign.com/products-ser...dev004002.html

Willem

Old January 31st 06, 09:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.exchange.misc,microsoft.public.outlook
Longreach

Fredly,

I have been trying to tackle the exact same question. It would be nice if
custom settings could be applied for each person in our contact list so that
sending an email to "Fred Bloggs" automated that my email account that I use
is X and the security settings are Encrypt + Sign, whereas emails to
non-customised contacts would be sent from my Y email account and not
encrypted nor signed.

I tried making a Template email, however this did not alter the security
settings that are set in Options Security. I can't even distinguish
different Security Settings in different email accounts.

If I set Tools Options Security to Encrytpt + Sign each message, then I
face the dilemna that you describe. Further, if I am emailing to a person
using one of my email accounts that does not have a signing certificate, then
the message comes up to change the Security Settings (the last thing that I
want myself or my staff to do).

I strive to use keyboard shortcuts and am not at all keen on clicking
through menues and clicking various buttons.

I haven't answered your question but I hope that you see that I have a
similar need for a solution and that someone will give us a solution.
--
Trying to push the limits,

Longreach

"Fredly" wrote:

Thanks Vanguard. Another question:

Is there a way to automatically sign and encrypt email in Outlook via S/MIME
and Digital IDs to certain contacts all the time without having to manually
check on each email. We do not wat to set these settings for every email
due to the message you must choose "send unencypted" each time.

Thanks in advance for your time!!

"Vanguard" wrote in message
"Fredly" wrote in message
Thank you for the info!!!!

I like the Thawte free option... I was thinking we would need to buy

from
Verisign and pay roughly $15 a month, per ID. What exaclty are the
differnces between a pay cert and a free cert?

Mostly what I said, that all you get as your identity in a freemail cert

is
your e-mail address. That is it! The recipient won't know who you are
unless they know your e-mail address (which is in the cert and NOT the one
in the headers of the e-mail which can be bogus). You can get more
credentials identifying yourself by going through their web of trust

scheme
but I don't know what their WOT notaries charge (you'll have to do that
research yourself). The freemail certs from Thawte expire after 1 year,

so
you'll have to go through the process of getting a new cert and sending
digitally signed mails to your customers so they can use your public key

encrypt their mails that they send to you.

You only need 1 mail cert to let your customers send you encrypted mails.
Each customer will need their own cert to let you send encrypted mails to
them. So you might want to look at Thawte or GeoTrust to see how their
pricing compares against Verisign to determine if you want to a fully
credentialed cert right away (rather than pay WOT notaries and take the

time
to do so for a Thawte cert).

Post replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.

Old April 11th 06, 06:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.exchange.misc,microsoft.public.outlook
Jeff Van Dam

Fredy, I see it's been a few months since your post however if you're still
loking, check out this option;

For $7/month CipherPass can set you up with a Trusted Third Party digital
certificate with a 3 year expiration. In addition to secure and
authenticated email you also get a file folder encryption (My Vault) check
out the Flash demos on the bottom of the home page. www.cipherpass.com. You
can be set up with all 20 users in less than an hour. Not "pretty good"
it's REAL GOOD Privacy.

CP simplifies the process of getting “military grade”, trusted and legally
binding digital IDs (X.509 certificates) and put them to use immediately.
Within 90 seconds of an end user clicking “download certificate”, the user is
ready to send secure email, encrypt documents, etc. without any configuration
whatsoever by the end user ---- this is a revolutionary concept in the use of
certificates. There are no hardware or software server requirements for our
customers

Jeff

"Fredly" wrote:

We need to encrypt email btween a customer of ours and us. I have been
looking at options. We are footing the bill. It will begin with a single
address here and one customer with three email addressses. We will expand
this to over 20 customers if things go well. This will get expensive so we
want to choose the right solution. We want something that will be cross
platform and non-intrusive for the customer, not to mention easy to set up.

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance for your time!