Outlook Mail - how to access on 2 PCs

Old March 18th 07, 11:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Mark McDonough

Default Outlook Mail - how to access on 2 PCs

I have a notebook and a desktop PC. My mail account and .pst file is located
on the notebook. Both PCs are on a wireless network.

What I would like to do is be able to access my outlook mail from both PCs.
How do I do this? Presumably there would need to be some sort of
synchronizing to take place such that email sent or received on one PC is
viewable on the other PC.

Do I have to put my email in a public folder? In any event, my public
folders do not operate across the network - only within the one PC and
provides access to other users of that PC only.

Is there a way that I can make my public folders viewable from each PC. ie
put a file in a public folder on one PC and see it in the public folders on
the other PC?

Old March 18th 07, 12:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Mark McDonough

Continuing on from my previous post, I am using Windows Vista Home Premium
edition on the desktop PC and Windows Vista Ultimate on the notebook and
both machines have Outlook 2007.

Old March 18th 07, 02:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

a pst is not sharable across a network. unless you use an imap account
you'll need to move the pst between machines.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

Old March 18th 07, 04:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
John Butler

Mark
You do not say what mail account you have but there should be no problem in
"accessing my outlook mail from both PCs" provided you do not try to access
it from both at the same time" if I have correctly understood your
objective.

For example, if you have a Microsoft HTTP account you
make it your default email account in Outlook 2003 or 20007 on your PC. Then
sign out and on your notebook make it the default account in exactly the
same way.
All the email folders will be replicated on the PC and the Laptop, EXCEPT
any folder "On this computer" which you should delete. The remote server
will take care of synchronising the accounts whichever computer you sue to
access them. But do not try to sign in from both at once. Same thing for
MAPI accounts.

If you have POP accounts make sure to set leave mail on the server when
setting up the accounts: when you log in you will see the same stuff on each
computer until you manually delete or otherwise move messages from the
inbox.

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote in message
a pst is not sharable across a network. unless you use an imap account
you'll need to move the pst between machines.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Need Help with Common Tasks?
http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

Old March 18th 07, 05:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Barry

My main computer is the desktop and I allow emails to be downloaded and
removed from the server. When I use my laptop it can still read any emails
that have not already been downloaded, but each account is set to leave a
copy of the message on the server. That way, when I am on a trip, I can
still read all my emails but when I get home, I can still download them and
deal with them on the desktop. You can set this in Outlook in TOOLS/ACCOUNT
SETTINGS/EMAIL/CHANGE/More Settings/advanced.
--
Barry

Old March 19th 07, 10:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
mlp

On Mar 18, 12:53 pm, "Mark McDonough" wrote:
I have a notebook and a desktop PC. My mail account and .pst file is located
on the notebook. Both PCs are on a wireless network.

What I would like to do is be able to access my outlook mail from both PCs.
How do I do this? Presumably there would need to be some sort of
synchronizing to take place such that email sent or received on one PC is
viewable on the other PC.

Do I have to put my email in a public folder? In any event, my public
folders do not operate across the network - only within the one PC and
provides access to other users of that PC only.

Is there a way that I can make my public folders viewable from each PC. ie
put a file in a public folder on one PC and see it in the public folders on
the other PC?

Hi

Try http://www.synchpst.com/

This program syncs between 2 PST-files.

regards

Old May 4th 07, 04:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
flyfinn

hi I wouldlike any recoomebndation that would allow me to synchronise emails
and docs between my pc and my laptop wehn both are on line bit i am in a
differeent country, many thanks

Fred