Moving messages into a folder fails

Old February 9th 07, 07:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Jerry West

Default Moving messages into a folder fails

I have a folder that I created. I move messages into that folder after they
have been read. Today I can no longer move messages into said folder. Is
there a limit to how many messages can be placed into a folder? This is the
second time this has happened. The first folder stopped accepting messages
when it grew in size to 62,308K. The 2nd folder stopped accepting messages
when it became 52,268K in size. Perhaps there is nothing to the folder size
and they do not accept messages for another reason?

JW

Old February 9th 07, 07:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Farhad Guliyev

Hi Jerry.

In Outlook 2000 there is a size limit for PSTs - Pesonal Folders and it is
2Gb.
Starting from Outlook 2003, the PST are created in Unicode format which
removes that limit.

So, you may need to scan you PST file with scanpst.exe tool, which you can
find in
C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033
Don't forget to backup you current PSTs before operating on them and close
Outlook prior to the process.

Old February 9th 07, 08:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Brian Tillman

Jerry West wrote:

I have a folder that I created. I move messages into that folder
after they have been read. Today I can no longer move messages into
said folder. Is there a limit to how many messages can be placed into
a folder?

Depending on your version, it's 16K entries, 64K entries, or more (limit
unknown).

This is the second time this has happened. The first folder
stopped accepting messages when it grew in size to 62,308K. The 2nd
folder stopped accepting messages when it became 52,268K in size.
Perhaps there is nothing to the folder size and they do not accept
messages for another reason?

The size of the PST itself can me more important that the number of items
each folder will hold, depending on your Outlook version, which you decded
wasn't important enough to mention.
--
Brian Tillman

Old February 9th 07, 10:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Jerry West

My Office version is 2000. The total PST file size is: 295,024K. This is
well below the 2G limit. Also, I have no trouble creating a new folder and
moving read items into it. I did scan the PST file for issues using
scanpst.exe but this did not correct the problem. If the folder is becoming
corrupt for some reason would not the scanpst.exe file correct it?

JW

Old February 10th 07, 04:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]

In Outlook 2000, you are limited to 65,535 items in each folder regardless
of what size they a

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/208480/en-us
Description of the purpose and capacity of Outlook storage facilities

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE --