Outlook 2003: microsoft office outlook 2003 does not recognize fax numbers

Old December 20th 06, 11:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
SteveMc

Default Outlook 2003: microsoft office outlook 2003 does not recognize fax numbers

We are using an Access Project to bulk email\fax clients - using the
SendObject function.

This worked fine on a windows xp machine using Outlook 2000, but, after
an office move, I've had to recreate the system on another windows xp
machine.

We initially tried Outlook 2003, but had issues with the security
prompts (saying another user trying to send email etc). However, once
these security message boxes had been clicked "yes", the emails and
faxes were sent ok.

Due to the bulk nature of the emails\faxes we decided to use Outlook
2000 (pre-security fix) - this allowed us to send email without the
security message boxes - however, the faxes wouldn't queue properly
(first one sent ok, subsequent ones failed and a undelivered message
received in outlook).

Decided (upon advice from previous Google Group mail) to go back to
Outlook 2003 and concentrate on getting round security problem.
Installed Express Click Yes, and this removed security messages.

Emails are being sent now, but faxes are not being sent - Check Name
dialog box comes up on each one with message similar to following:
"Microsoft Office Outlook does not recognize "0161 1234567".

The access project formats the "to:" field as {FAX:0161 1234567], and
this hasn't changed since we were previously able to send faxes
successfully.

Services on Outlook account are Fax Transport (Default) and Microsoft
Exchange Server, and we have checked on Microsoft Update for any
service packs/hot fixes.

We are using a simple fax modem (not cable or dsl).

Any ideas please?

Old December 20th 06, 11:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Check the format of the Fax number. It is not posted correctly. No braces.
No spaces.
What happens if you make Fax the default transport for the profile?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
ps.com...

Old December 20th 06, 01:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
SteveMc

I've tried making Fax Transport the default - with no luck.

Regarding the fax number format: It is submitted to the SendObject
function as
[FAX:0161 1234567] and appears in outbox as "0161 1234567".

When I manually alter the message in the outbox to [FAX:0161 1234567]
and click "Send" it works.

Am I correct in the format I'm passing to SendObject function? It did
work previously.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
Check the format of the Fax number. It is not posted correctly. No braces.
No spaces.
What happens if you make Fax the default transport for the profile?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
ps.com...

Old December 20th 06, 02:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
SteveMc

Panic over - it's fixed!

There was a space between the [FAX: and the fax number.

Everything's working ok now - faxes are going to Fax Console Outbox and
queuing up.

Thanks for your help.

SteveMc wrote:
I've tried making Fax Transport the default - with no luck.

Regarding the fax number format: It is submitted to the SendObject
function as
[FAX:0161 1234567] and appears in outbox as "0161 1234567".

When I manually alter the message in the outbox to [FAX:0161 1234567]
and click "Send" it works.

Am I correct in the format I'm passing to SendObject function? It did
work previously.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
Check the format of the Fax number. It is not posted correctly. No braces.
No spaces.
What happens if you make Fax the default transport for the profile?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
ps.com...

Old December 20th 06, 10:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

It's always the smallest details that bite you. You're brave even to attempt
a merge to mixed recipient types in this day and age. It grows more
difficult every year and soon will be impossible I'm sure. Interesting that
you had to use "Click Yes." I would have hoped for a more elegant solution
to the Security prompt.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
s.com...

SteveMc wrote:
I've tried making Fax Transport the default - with no luck.

Regarding the fax number format: It is submitted to the SendObject
function as
[FAX:0161 1234567] and appears in outbox as "0161 1234567".

When I manually alter the message in the outbox to [FAX:0161 1234567]
and click "Send" it works.

Am I correct in the format I'm passing to SendObject function? It did
work previously.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
Check the format of the Fax number. It is not posted correctly. No
braces.
No spaces.
What happens if you make Fax the default transport for the profile?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
ps.com...