Updating PST file to 2007 Format

Old December 8th 06, 08:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Rick Strahl [MVP]

Default Updating PST file to 2007 Format

Hi all,

I'm running Outlook 2007 and looking at my PST file that's been coming
forward since Office 2000 it shows that the PST file is a 97-2002 mode file.

Is there any way to upgrade the PST file to the latest format? And maybe
more to the point is there any advantage to doing so?

Everything seems to work fine, other than the slowness of the file (it's
about 130megs) and I'm hoping moving up to the latest format might help
performance?

+++ Rick ---

Old December 8th 06, 08:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

File-New-Outlook Data File-Personal folders file. This will be in the new unicode format that allows storage of up to 20 gigs - a larger file can be configured using a registry setting of up to 32 terabytes. The advantages are obvious if anyone has ever hit the 2 gig limit on the older format.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Rick Strahl [MVP] asked:

Old December 8th 06, 09:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Patrick Schmid [MVP]

If you want to move all your existing data into the new PST, I suggest
you archive everything via File, Archive into the newly created one (use
today's date). You should make a backup copy of your PST before doing
this.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
RibbonCustomizer Add-In: http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribboncustomizer
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

:

Old December 8th 06, 11:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Rick Strahl [MVP]

File-New-Outlook Data File-Personal folders file.

Well, duh! g I know how to create a new file, the question is how do I get
the old data into it...

Looks like Patrick's got the answer although I don't like that one bit as
everything will have to reconfigured from scratch using the archive
mechanism it looks like... sigh This is silly that you can't even do a
direct upgrade of file formats.

+++ Rick ---

Old December 8th 06, 02:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Copying works for me, but see this as well: http://www.maclean.com/upstart/
--
Brian Tillman

Old December 8th 06, 04:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

If you wanted to know how to get the data into it, you should have asked.

Old December 8th 06, 07:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Patrick Schmid [MVP]

Copying requires that you copy each folder, so you have to make sure you
are in the Folder List view first. Also, in my experience, it is slow as
hell for big PSTs, whereas Archive seems to be the fastest method.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***

"Brian Tillman" wrote in message
:

Old December 8th 06, 07:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Patrick Schmid [MVP]

Looks like Patrick's got the answer although I don't like that one bit
as
everything will have to reconfigured from scratch using the archive
mechanism it looks like... sigh This is silly that you can't even do a
direct upgrade of file formats.

No need to reconfigure. Move all data into the new file, close Outlook
and via Control Panel, Mail, swap the new PST in as your default.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
http://pschmid.net
***