Junk Email & Blocked Senders List

Old November 13th 06, 07:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
rju166

Default Junk Email & Blocked Senders List

If I drag email to the Junk Email folder, doesn't that automatically add the
sender to the Blocked Senders List? Or do I really have to right click every
single spammer and choose "Add to Blocked Senders List?" Using Outlook 2003.
Thanks.

Old November 13th 06, 07:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

rju166 wrote:

If I drag email to the Junk Email folder, doesn't that automatically
add the sender to the Blocked Senders List?

Nope. There's nothing special about moving an itrem into the Junk E-mail
folder.

Or do I really have to
right click every single spammer and choose "Add to Blocked Senders
List?" Using Outlook 2003.

Adding spammer addresses to the Blocked Sender list is fairly pointless
(unless the domain stays fairly constant and then can add the entire domain)
because most spammers do not reuse addresses. Better to use a rule if you
can find common criteria in the messages, like something in the headers or
subject.
--
Brian Tillman

Old November 13th 06, 07:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
rju166

Hmmm, thanks for the info.

It seems to me that the Junk Email filter in Outlook isn't as good as it
used to be, somehow. I suppose the spammers have figured out how to get
around the filters. I think I have all the latest updates.

Old November 14th 06, 11:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Ben M. Schorr - MVP

Aloha rju166,

You might consider Googling for SpamBayes -- it's a pretty capable, and free,
anti-spam tool for Outlook.

-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr - MVP
Roland Schorr & Tower
http://www.rolandschorr.com
Microsoft OneNote FAQ: http://www.factplace.com/onenotefaq.htm

Old November 14th 06, 02:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

rju166 wrote:

It seems to me that the Junk Email filter in Outlook isn't as good as
it used to be, somehow.

It's much better than it used to be. Outlook 2002 and earlier had much less
useful junk mail filters. All it could do in prior versions was color the
subject and it had fixed spam strings that couldn't be updated.

I suppose the spammers have figured out how
to get around the filters. I think I have all the latest updates.

Spammers will always find ways around filters. Until it becomes
economically pointless there will always be spammers.
--
Brian Tillman