How to setup a rule to forward rule in Outlook (xp or 2003) to forward emails from a certain domain when app isnt running?

Old November 10th 06, 10:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.exchange.admin,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
KingCronos

Default How to setup a rule to forward rule in Outlook (xp or 2003) to forward emails from a certain domain when app isnt running?

There is a shared mailbox owned by one of the departments. One of the
individuals in that department needs emails coming from one specified
domain to be forwarded to his email account, but not the other emails
that come in. I set up a rule in Outlook (I tried XP and 2003) while
logged in as the shared mailbox to foward emails based on the content
of the email address to that user. However, when I clicked finish I got
the message that this is a client side rule and will only run when
Outlook is open. This is next to useless as no one logs on as this
shared mailbox. Is there any way to make this a server side rule, or
any different solution to my problem.

Laters,

KC

Old November 10th 06, 11:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.exchange.admin,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Kashif Awan

Default How to setup a rule to forward rule in Outlook (xp or 2003) to for

you can use owa to open the shared mailbox and create a rule using owa.
This rule will work even when ur outlook is closed.

Regards,
Kashif

Old November 10th 06, 03:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.exchange.admin,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Oliver Moazzezi

1. Create a new mail enabled group.
2. Remove the address from the shared mailbox
3. Add this address (wait 5 minutes before doing this - replication needs to
catch up) to the new mail enabled group you created in Step 1.
4. Add the user that is supposed to recieve these emails to this group.
5. Add the share mailbox that is supposed to recieve this emails to this
group.

Voila.

You can mimmick this for other users if they need the same setup.

Also consider implementing 'Send As' permissions, if some of these users
needs to send as the original smtp address.

Let me know if this answers all your questions,

Oliver

oups.com...

Old November 10th 06, 03:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.exchange.admin,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
KingCronos

Many thanks to both posters. However, I think I will try the OWA method
as its simpler, and I dont really understand how the second alternative
can discriminate according to originating domain. Also, if I use the
OWA to set up the rule, can I use the wildcard "*" ? The reason being
is that all email from an entire domain needs to forwarded, not just
one email address, and the box will not accept the domain name on its
own in the 'from address contains' box.

Thansk.

Old November 10th 06, 06:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.exchange.admin,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Brian Tillman

KingCronos wrote:

if I use the OWA to set up the rule, can I use the wildcard "*" ?

There are no wildcards in rules.
--
Brian Tillman
Old November 10th 06, 06:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.exchange.admin,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Brian Tillman

KingCronos wrote:

The
reason being is that all email from an entire domain needs to
forwarded, not just one email address, and the box will not accept
the domain name on its own in the 'from address contains' box.

Use the "with specific works in the sender's address" condition, if it's
available.
--
Brian Tillman

Old November 10th 06, 08:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.exchange.admin,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Brian Tillman

Brian Tillman wrote:

Use the "with specific works in the sender's address" condition, if
it's available.

Typo. That should be "words", not "works".
--
Brian Tillman