Outlook 2003 - Exchange 2000 - Unicode and .PST

Old January 16th 06, 03:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Bill Glidden

Default Outlook 2003 - Exchange 2000 - Unicode and .PST

I am upgrading my mobile users to Outlook 2003 to get better remote
performance for them. When I point the Auto Archive to the existing Outlook
XP .pst file I get an error about the file being non-Unicode and that I
should create a Non-Unicode personal Folder to hold the non-Unicode file.
Can someone please point me in the direction of a how-to for this? I'm not
sure exactly what I need to do here and why.

Old January 16th 06, 04:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Bill Glidden

Default Outlook 2003 - Exchange 2000 - Unicode and .PST - Further Information

This is the eeror I get when I try to set the Auto Archive path to the old
Outlook XP archive.pst file:

*Microsoft Office Outlook is running in Unicode mode against Microsoft
Exchange server and cannot archive items to a non-Unicode Outlook 97-2002
Personal Folders archive file. Please select or create a new personal
Folders file that supports Unicode.*

I understand the error, but not sure how to proceed

Old January 16th 06, 04:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

file, new, outlook data file. make a new pst and point the archive option to
use it.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Old January 16th 06, 04:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Bill Glidden

Thanks, Diane.

So the old non-Unicode archive file can't be used again for archive? If
not, it's not a show-stopper since there is no problem opening this file for
viewing. Just want to make sure of this.

Cheers,
Bill

Old January 16th 06, 02:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

correct - and you don't want to use it because if it goes over 2gb you lose
the archive. but you can open it in Outlook using the file, open menu if
needed.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

"Bill Glidden" wrote in message
Thanks, Diane.

So the old non-Unicode archive file can't be used again for archive? If
not, it's not a show-stopper since there is no problem opening this file
for viewing. Just want to make sure of this.

Cheers,
Bill

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote in message
file, new, outlook data file. make a new pst and point the archive option
to use it.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Need Help with Common Tasks?