password protected .pst files...

Old September 12th 06, 11:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brad Pears

Default password protected .pst files...

I have two .pst archive files that I password protected. When I open Outlook
and click on one of the archives, it asks for the password. If I just click
cancel at that point amd later want to open it, I have to close Outlook and
re-open it so as to be asked for the password again. SImply clicking on teh
PST file does not allow me to enter the password, it just tells me that I am
unable to access the file.

Also, I have archiving configured to happen each day - to these .pst files.
Is there any place where I can specifiy the password so that the archive can
happen? Now, if I do not specifiy the password when I open Outlook, the
archive procedure fails...

Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

Brad

Old September 13th 06, 04:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

In ,
Brad Pears typed:
I have two .pst archive files that I password protected. When I open
Outlook and click on one of the archives, it asks for the password.
If I just click cancel at that point amd later want to open it, I
have to close Outlook and re-open it so as to be asked for the
password again. SImply clicking on teh PST file does not allow me to
enter the password, it just tells me that I am unable to access the
file.

As the old punchline goes, "So the doctor says, 'Don't go like that!' "

Also, I have archiving configured to happen each day - to these .pst
files. Is there any place where I can specifiy the password so that
the archive can happen? Now, if I do not specifiy the password when I
open Outlook, the archive procedure fails...

I don't believe this is an option. If you want the autoarchive to run, enter
the password.

Old September 13th 06, 11:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gordon

"Brad Pears" wrote in message
[...]

So why not answer the reply to your FIRST post about this as to why you
would click "cancel" anyway? If you want to open the file supply the
password, if you don't want to open it then don't click on it! Simple?

Old September 13th 06, 02:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brad Pears

It's just a matter of security. The other admin has access to my machine (as
do "higher-ups) but there is stuff in these archives I do not want anyone
getting at - for personal and business reasons. I am away from my PC a fair
amount of time throughout the day so would be easy for soemone to snoop if
they wanted to. Entering the password right up front would allow them
access to the PST files right away if they happen to have to get on my
machine for some reason - which does happen frequently.

You might say well then just close Outlook when you leave your desk but you
know how things go in IT - lots of times someone will come in with an issue
and you have to leave your desk right away to help them - and you forget to
close it. We are afterall human and yes forgetful.. You may not get back to
your desk for some time after that... We know each other's passwords etc..
as we may need to get onto each others machines, but I do not want anyone
accessign these PST files.

There are times when I want to access the archive files but then would like
to "lock" them again when I am finished. Unless you exit Outlook and come
back in, you can't do this. Not a big deal, just thought someone may know of
a quick way to do this... I guess that really should have been the
question - more of a how to lock them again after you have already supplied
the password.

Thanks.

Old September 13th 06, 02:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brad Pears

Well the real issue is that I would like to be able to lock the files again
when I am finished viewing them - after having first entering a password to
open them. I would like to be able to do this without having to exit Outlook
and come back in if possible. The IT group here has access to each others
PC's as we may need to get on them from time to time. If I suddenly need to
leave my desk (which happens often) to support a user issue, I may forget to
close Outlook - thus allowing whoever sits at my PC to access the PST
files - which I do not want being accessed by anyone but myself.

I just wonder if there is a way to "lock" them after initial access so the
next time you attempt an access, you are asked for the password again.
Clicking the "Cancel' button was just a test to see if it would ask me for
the password the next time I attempted access. This did not happen - it
simply gave an access denied error. Normally - you are right I would not
click cancel.

So basically, do you know of a way to lock the PST files again after
accessing them?

Thanks, Brad

Old September 13th 06, 06:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gordon

"Brad Pears" wrote in message
It's just a matter of security. The other admin has access to my machine
(as do "higher-ups) but there is stuff in these archives I do not want
anyone getting at - for personal and business reasons. I am away from my
PC a fair amount of time throughout the day so would be easy for soemone
to snoop if they wanted to.

Then lock your screen (Windows Logo key + L) when you leave and set a
password-protected screen saver as well as added security.

Old September 13th 06, 06:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

In ,
Brad Pears typed:
[...]

You don't need to know someone else's password to get on their machine. I
don't know your network setup, but nobody should ever know other people's
passwords, and people shouldn't be running with admin rights for their daily
use. If you want to continue the setup you have now, you'll have to deal
with the inconvenience of closing and reopening Outlook.

I recommend locking your workstation when you're not at it, and I can see no
reason why someone should suddenly have to get on someone else's computer.
Especially fellow IT people.

Old September 13th 06, 09:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brad Pears

I work for a small company. The owner of the company wants to make sure we
know each others passwords. Other senior management members can also access
my password (I am not management). I am not allowed to change my password
without notifying them. If I do, and I am not there and for whatever reason
they want to log on as me, I would have to give them my password over the
phone if I was available etc... This has actually happened in the past.
This is just the way it is and there is no arguing with him. This is why I
am asking this question. I will just close outlook.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
ahoo.com wrote in message
In ,
Brad Pears typed:

Old September 13th 06, 09:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brad Pears

If that was all that I had to do I would be doing that. It's not that
simple. Thanks anyway. I'll just close outlook.

Old September 13th 06, 09:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Brad Pears wrote:

It's just a matter of security. The other admin has access to my
machine (as do "higher-ups) but there is stuff in these archives I do
not want anyone getting at - for personal and business reasons.

Keep in mind that court cases have found that all data on a company-provided
PC belongs to the company, including any "private" data you think you may
have. They have a right at any time to view anything on that PC. Trying to
stop duly authorized company representatives from viewing and of the
information on company-owned PCs may be a violation of your terms of
employment and may get you fired. Just a caution. Besides, PST password
stippers are readily available. Your efforts of trying to keep that
information "private" by password-protecting the PST is futile.
--
Brian Tillman