Outlook Rules: when email comes into inbox want to place email address into contact list

Old January 12th 06, 02:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
[email protected]

Default Outlook Rules: when email comes into inbox want to place email address into contact list

Hi there,

Can somebody please help me create an email rule so that when an email
comes into my inbox, I want to immediately take that persons email
address and add it to a specified contact list.

Can this be done??

Thanks
Steven

Old January 12th 06, 03:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Vanguard

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi there,

Can somebody please help me create an email rule so that when an email
comes into my inbox, I want to immediately take that persons email
address and add it to a specified contact list.

Can this be done??

So you are compiling a list of e-mail addresses for all spam that you
receive, too?

--
_________________________________
** Post replies to the newsgroup.

Old January 12th 06, 04:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
[email protected]

no nothing like that. At the moment I have created a website for my
work (www.cyi.org.au) and have just implemented an "add your email
address for updates" through sendmail etc. When the user signs up it
automatically sends the email to an exchange user that we have
specifically created. The email addresses won't be used for spam as we
are a semi-government / education type organisation. But yeah what I
want to do is when an email comes into the exchange users inbox, I want
to do like an auto reply and then also ad the received email address to
a contacts list so that later on when we want to send out a newsletter
or broadcast an upcoming seminar I can easily do this.

can you help??

thanks
steven

Old January 12th 06, 08:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Vanguard

wrote in message
oups.com...
no nothing like that. At the moment I have created a website for my
work (www.cyi.org.au) and have just implemented an "add your email
address for updates" through sendmail etc. When the user signs up it
automatically sends the email to an exchange user that we have
specifically created. The email addresses won't be used for spam as we
are a semi-government / education type organisation. But yeah what I
want to do is when an email comes into the exchange users inbox, I want
to do like an auto reply and then also ad the received email address to
a contacts list so that later on when we want to send out a newsletter
or broadcast an upcoming seminar I can easily do this.

When you send the subscription e-mail to your Exchange server, I would
suggest that you add a passcode or magic string to the Subject or add a
special X-header so that your mail server will only accept e-mails that your
web site's script sent to it. Otherwise, any spam received at that e-mail
address (i.e., from somewhere other than your web site script) would also
get added to your mailing list.

I don't know of a clause that you can put in a rule in Outlook that will
automatically add every sender to a contact-type folder. I doubt you even
want Outlook to be running to make the mailing list. That would be
something that would execute when the mail got delivered into your mailbox
regardless of whether you ever opened Outlook or not and connected to that
mailbox. You might want to ask in an Exchange group on how to assign
scripts to mailboxes. If you want to use Outlook, maybe someone over at
outlookcode.com (for an add-on you could code for Outlook). You could buy
something like http://www.sperrysoftware.com/Outloo...il-Address.asp.

--
_________________________________

Old January 13th 06, 07:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
[email protected]

Thanks again for this help,

Yeah that's also a problem too... this email is being sent to a
'client-side' user account, rather than a 'server-side', and hence the
only time the rules I have created work is when I actually hit the
send/receive button. Maybe I should look to something totally more
automated... just on a limited budget .... gonna have to teach myself.

Regards
Stevo