Exchange/Outlook 2003 - group policy & local PST files

Old June 9th 06, 09:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Szkrad

Default Exchange/Outlook 2003 - group policy & local PST files

In an effort to make sure we never reach the 16GB threshold for the SBS
2003 Exchange Info Store, I'm looking to setup a GPO to give everyone
consistent AutoArchive settings as well as a common location for the
PST file.

I have already downloaded the Office Administrative Templates for
Outlook 2003, so I already have found the settings I want to modify and
have made the changes, I just haven't made them live on the domain yet.

My thoughts to date:
* create two GPOs, one for the PST location, one for the autoarchive
settings themselves
* set PST location to local drive, or common network share

My concerns:
* can I use environment variables in defining a filename? e.g.,
"C:\outlook archive\%USERNAME%'s Archive.pst"
* what will happen to an already created PST file in a location
different from the newly defined? will it move the existing to the new
location and continue, or will it start a new, second PST and the
contents of the first will have to be moved manually?

Anything else I should be concerned about? Aside from having the new
PST files backed up...

I'd appreciate any help you can provide - thanks!

Old June 9th 06, 09:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

You can't set the archive location with a GPO. It takes a .prf. See http://support.microsoft.com/?id=836755

Storing a PST file on a network share is unsupported, although plenty of people do it. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297019/

* what will happen to an already created PST file in a location

Nothing at all will happen. It will still be there containing the same data.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Old June 9th 06, 10:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Szkrad

Sue-

First, thanks for the feedback and links.

In the Office Administrative Templates, there is an entry for the
default PST location:
"User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Microsoft Office Outlook
2003\Miscellaneous\PST Settings\"
There, i was able to define a default location for the PST file - is
that not correct?

I can see that my initial description of the suggested path may not
work with the env variable as written, but I should be able to direct
the PST file to a directory other than the default rather than trying
to force the file name into the location variable.

So if nothing happens to the existing PST file, and I create a new
default location, does Outlook create a new "Archive Folders" location?

Thanks again,
Brian

Old June 9th 06, 10:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

So if nothing happens to the existing PST file, and I create a new
default location, does Outlook create a new "Archive Folders" location?

No, the adm setting you cited determines the default folder for any new ..pst files that Outlook creates automatically as a result of the user creating a new profile. It doesn't set the archive location. Read the article I suggested.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP