how to transfer addresses from access to contact list in outlook

Old May 29th 06, 02:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Ghiadoc

Default how to transfer addresses from access to contact list in outlook

I have entered names, addresses, etc into an access database. I'd like to
transfer all of this information in to Outlook contacts. Only the names
transferred, not the addresses. How can I do this?

Old May 29th 06, 02:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Did you use the FIle | Import and Export command in Outlook and click the Custom Field Mapping button to make sure Outlook knows how to store your data?

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Old May 29th 06, 03:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Ghiadoc

Default how to transfer addresses from access to contact list in outlo

Sue,
Thanks for the response. I wasn't sure what to do tiwh the custom field
mapping button...how do they work to tell outlook how to store data?
i.e.what do I do with them?

Kevin Dew

Old May 29th 06, 05:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Click it and you'll see a dialog that lets you associate a column in your named range (for best results, include the column header row in the range) with an Outlook property.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Old May 29th 06, 10:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Ghiadoc

I guess I'm a total idiot, I have no idea what you mean by column header row
in the range

this is the path I'm following
contacts-import and export-import from another file-next-microsoft
access-next-replace duplicates with items imported-next-select contacts as
destination folder-next-then I get a dialog box titled "import a file" with
boxes to check the following, Import calls/import contac types/import
contacts/import switchboard items into the contact folder

Now what do I do? I'm not sure what to do from here.

Old May 29th 06, 11:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

I have no idea what you mean by column header row
in the range

Sorry, for some reason I read Excel instead of Access. The same principle applies, though. Your database has fields defined for each table. Those field names will be available in the Map Custom Fields dialog.

I get a dialog box titled "import a file" with
boxes to check the following, Import calls/import contac types/import
contacts/import switchboard items into the contact folder

You must choose which table you want to import. You know your database structure. We don't.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP