Empty From: field

Old February 14th 06, 03:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Jonas

Default Empty From: field

Hi.
We use a exchange 2003 server and I have notice that my outlook 2003
client behaves strange if the From tag in the header looks like this;
From: “”

I’ve hooked up Thunderbird and it shows the From field as I think it
should, instead of a blank from field it shows

If the header looks like this; From:

or like this; From: “name”
it works just fine.
The problem is the first example…
Any ideas?
Cheers
Jonas
Old February 14th 06, 04:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

From: “”

There's nothing syntactically wrong with this. It is a perfectly valid From
header.

I’ve hooked up Thunderbird and it shows the From field as I think it
should, instead of a blank from field it shows

What Thunderbird shows has no bearing on it at all. Whoever sent the
message wanted a blank "From" name nd that what s/he sent, apparently.
Outlook uses the value in quotes, if they exist, as the string that shows in
its From field. It's the way Outlook is designed to work.

If the header looks like this; From:

In this case, there is no friendly name, so Outlook shows the mail address,
probably enclosed in apostrophes, like '.

or like this; From: “name”

And, in this case, Outlook will show the From field as "Name". Since the
first example contained nothing between the quotes, that's what Outlook will
show.
--
Brian Tillman

Old February 17th 06, 08:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Jonas

Brian Tillman wrote:
What Thunderbird shows has no bearing on it at all. Whoever sent the
message wanted a blank "From" name nd that what s/he sent, apparently.
Outlook uses the value in quotes, if they exist, as the string that
shows in its From field. It's the way Outlook is designed to work.

Ok. I see, but the main problem is when I hit the reply button on a mail
with a blank "" name Outlook doesn't put the mail address in the address
field. But the mail address comes up in the message body like this:
Old February 17th 06, 02:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Jonas wrote:

Ok. I see, but the main problem is when I hit the reply button on a
mail with a blank "" name Outlook doesn't put the mail address in the
address field.

It won't. It will put the friendly name, but should underline it to show it
has been resolved. Do you see "" underlined in the recipient field? If so,
you should be able to right-click that, choose Properties, and see the email
address Outlook will use.

But the mail address comes up in the message body like this:

What do you believe is wrong with the "Original Message"? It all looks OK
to me.
--
Brian Tillman

Old February 20th 06, 07:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Jonas

Brian Tillman wrote:
Jonas wrote:

Ok. I see, but the main problem is when I hit the reply button on a
mail with a blank "" name Outlook doesn't put the mail address in the
address field.

It won't. It will put the friendly name, but should underline it to
show it has been resolved. Do you see "" underlined in the recipient
field? If so, you should be able to right-click that, choose
Properties, and see the email address Outlook will use.

If I press reply the button it doesn't pick up the address in the "To"
field. It's just blank, there is nothing to "right click" on.

But the mail address comes up in the message body like this:

What do you believe is wrong with the "Original Message"? It all looks
OK to me.

As you can see in the screenshot the "reply" quote in the message body
picks up the senders email but outlook doesn't put it in the "To" field.

Sorry if I'm hard to understand, english isn't my first language

Thanks for your help

//Jonas

Old February 20th 06, 03:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Jonas wrote:

As you can see in the screenshot the "reply" quote in the message body
picks up the senders email but outlook doesn't put it in the "To"
field.

Hmm.. I'm stumped.

Sorry if I'm hard to understand, english isn't my first language

Not at all. I think I've understood you so far.
--
Brian Tillman