Processing nested rules in Outlook 2003

Old April 12th 06, 02:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
[email protected]

Default Processing nested rules in Outlook 2003

Hi

I'm sure there's an easy way to do this I just don't know how yet!

Forgive me if it sounds dumb, but is there a way to process Outlook
rules in a 'nested' manner?

Specifically: I'm monitoring a proxy server at present and have set up
notifications to be sent to me whenever a threshold is breached or an
AUP is broken. As the vast majority of transgressions here are visits
to Ebay, Paypal, Gmail and online shopping sites, I have set up
subfolders in the .pst I've created for these notifications. At
present, the notifications all come in and are filtered correctly by a
client-side rule into the .pst. However, I cannot seem to find a way to
then process them further by moving them from the main folder of the
..pst into the nice little subfolders I have created. I can create four
rules instead of an overarching one and specify which folder to deliver
them to based on message content, but if I do that, I will be left with
all those breaches which are NOT related to the specific rules I have
set up still sitting in my inbox.

Is there a way to begin a rule processing once I have finished another
rule? I'm thinking along these lines:

Mail is sent to my inbox
Rule processed based on sender - moves mail to .pst
Second rule notices mail moved to .pst and begins secondary processing
Mail either moved to subfolder based on content or remains in main
folder

Am I going nuts here or is there no way to do this?

Another method I thought of is using reverse logic in a rule and then
applying it at the top of the rules list - e.g. creating a rule based
on the sender's email address then specifying all the words I would use
to process the mail further with a 'NOT' prefix or something similar

I might have confused the issue with that last one I think!

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated!

Cheers