Manage Rules & Alerts window wont stay open

Old March 9th 13, 06:30 AM
Charleen Charleen is offline
Junior Member

Default Manage Rules & Alerts window wont stay open

I've had this problem for a couple of upgrades now. I was running Windows 7 and Outlook 2010. I've since upgraded to Windows 8 and Outlook 2013.

I noticed that my rules had stopped working and when I created a new rule it showed as rulename(3). So I wanted to access the created rules to tidy them up, delete and start again - anything to make it all work.

However, when I click Rules from the Home tab, I can see the window flash as if trying to open, but it doesn't stay. I get the same results if I Right Click on an email and use Rules / Manage Rules and from the File menu Manage Rules & Alerts button.

As the problem has migrated through software upgrades I'm assuming that it's in the .pst files somewhere, but I can't work out where.

I'm sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I've done a few searches and haven't found anything that has helped yet.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Old March 19th 13, 03:12 AM
amanda_lakai amanda_lakai is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleen View Post
[...]

This might happen if you are using cached Exchange mode.
Go to fileAccount Settings and double click on the account to check if cached option is ticked. Turning off the cached Exchange mode, can resolve your problem.
If it doesn't work then I suggest you to deleted the old pst file(before upgrade)and let Outlook recreate it .Try the cleanrules switch after that.
Open Run command and execute: outlook.exe /cleanrules. I hope it would help you.
Old March 19th 13, 08:49 PM
Charleen Charleen is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_lakai View Post
This might happen if you are using cached Exchange mode.
Go to fileAccount Settings and double click on the account to check if cached option is ticked. Turning off the cached Exchange mode, can resolve your problem.
If it doesn't work then I suggest you to deleted the old pst file(before upgrade)and let Outlook recreate it .Try the cleanrules switch after that.
Open Run command and execute: outlook.exe /cleanrules. I hope it would help you.
Thanks for replying Amanda.

I've followed the fileAccount Setting and double click instruction and there is nothing that indicates a cache option. I checked in the Advanced setting as well.
I don't really want to delete the .pst file as I will lose all my emails.
I've renamed the file and a new .pst has been created. I've run the rule as you've recommended. Sadly this hasn't worked.
Old April 12th 13, 05:22 AM
amanda_lakai amanda_lakai is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleen View Post
Thanks for replying Amanda.

I've followed the fileAccount Setting and double click instruction and there is nothing that indicates a cache option. I checked in the Advanced setting as well.
I don't really want to delete the .pst file as I will lose all my emails.
I've renamed the file and a new .pst has been created. I've run the rule as you've recommended. Sadly this hasn't worked.
Try using Outlook in safe mode.

• Go to StartAll ProgramsAccessoriesRun.
• Type in “outlook /safe” (without quotes and space between “outlook” and “/”)
• click OK
• Go to the location: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outloo k\
and Rename outcmd.dat , Outlook.srs files
• restart Outlook.

I hope it would help.
Old April 15th 13, 08:58 AM
Charleen Charleen is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_lakai View Post
Try using Outlook in safe mode.

• Go to StartAll ProgramsAccessoriesRun.
• Type in “outlook /safe” (without quotes and space between “outlook” and “/”)
• click OK
• Go to the location: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outloo k\
and Rename outcmd.dat , Outlook.srs files
• restart Outlook.

I hope it would help.
Not good news, Amanda. I've tried what you've suggested and still the same result. I don't know if this will make a difference, but I can manually create rules and from each individual email, I can give the command "always move to" but it's the management of the rules that still only flashes up.
Thanks again for trying to help.