can't minimize email during composition

Old May 20th 10, 04:11 AM
lola.eng lola.eng is offline
Junior Member

Default can't minimize email during composition

Outlook forces me to save and actually close an email I am composing just to do anything else in Outlook. Is there a setting I can change to allow me to simply minimize it until I wish to continue composing.
Old May 20th 10, 08:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
DL[_3_]

Learn how to crosspost and not multi post.
What version of Outlook on what o/s and what type of mail account?
And when you have the new msg window open is the minimise Btn (-) not
available?

--
lola.eng

Old May 20th 10, 04:33 PM
lola.eng lola.eng is offline
Junior Member

Unhappy

v 2003 and yes, the minimize btn is where it should be; it just doesn't work.

In another forum I've been told this is a problem when I use 'send to' in another program. Indeed, I use Windows 'send to recipient' daily. So, is there an add on or work around to defeat this MAPI problem? I did not have this problem in OE, and the more I use Outlook the more I miss the simplicity of OE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL[_3_] View Post
What version of Outlook on what o/s and what type of mail account?
And when you have the new msg window open is the minimise Btn (-) not
available?

[color]
Old May 22nd 10, 04:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Are you starting the mail using a Send to menu in another application? If
so, the behavior is normal.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

New Poll: What type of email account is your main account?

Old May 22nd 10, 04:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

I believe I answered this in the other forum - but for the benefit of
others, I'll update this thread also.

I use Windows 'send to recipient' daily.

See http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2007/20071221.htm for the steps
needed to create shortcuts to outlook in Window's Sendto folder - this will
fix the problem when sending from Windows Explorer. It wont help when using
the File, Send to menus in other applications.

--

"lola.eng" wrote in message

v 2003 and yes, the minimize btn is where it should be; it just doesn't
work.

In another forum I've been told this is a problem when I use 'send to'
in another program. Indeed, I use Windows 'send to recipient' daily.
So, is there an add on or work around to defeat this MAPI problem? I
did not have this problem in OE, and the more I use Outlook the more I
miss the simplicity of OE.

;349182']

Old May 22nd 10, 06:41 PM
lola.eng lola.eng is offline
Junior Member

Windows XP; Outlook 2003; yes there is a minimize button; huh - what type of mail account? How about email account? And it only happens when I start an email using Windows right click drop down "send to... mail recipient" which I do daily as I must forward numerous files. Doing it from explorer is much quicker than attaching files and then having to find them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL[_3_] View Post
What version of Outlook on what o/s and what type of mail account?
And when you have the new msg window open is the minimise Btn (-) not
available?
[/i][/color]
Old May 23rd 10, 02:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

I thought we "fixed" your problem? Since you are using the Send to mail
recipient command, you can use a shortcut to outlook and avoid the problem.

"lola.eng" wrote in message

Windows XP; Outlook 2003; yes there is a minimize button; huh - what
type of mail account? How about email account? And it only happens
when I start an email using Windows right click drop down "send to...
mail recipient" which I do daily as I must forward numerous files.
Doing it from explorer is much quicker than attaching files and then
having to find them.

'DL[_3_ Wrote:
;349182']
What version of Outlook on what o/s and what type of mail account?
And when you have the new msg window open is the minimise Btn (-) not
available?

--
lola.eng [/i][/color]

Old May 23rd 10, 07:59 PM
lola.eng lola.eng is offline
Junior Member

No, it wasn't fixed, somebody simply mentioned simplemapi was the cause. If there was a link to the solution, I did not see it earlier.

So, I tried the solution in the link you provided and I still have a problem, a bit different however. I created the shortcut and tested it by double clicking on the shortcut, and sure enough a new email pops up with my signature and it can minimized and it's perfect. I also tested it by pasting it into Start_Run. Worked great.

BUT when right click on a file and I select Send to my new shortcut (and I am selecting my new shortcut - no mistake) I get a message box informing me

Cannot run office outlook. The command line argument is not valid. Verify the switch you are using is correct.

Figure that one out! I am totally baffled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Poremsky [MVP] View Post

Old May 24th 10, 01:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

"lola.eng" wrote in message

BUT when right click on a file and I select Send to my new shortcut
(and I am selecting my new shortcut - no mistake) I get a message box
informing me

Cannot run office outlook. The command line argument is not valid.
Verify the switch you are using is correct.

Did you enclose the command line in quotes in the shortcut like the web page
shows? Do you have spaces in front of each switch (the parameters that start
with a slash) and in front of each switch argument?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old May 24th 10, 05:34 PM
lola.eng lola.eng is offline
Junior Member

I copied it from the Tips page. Thanks, I found the problem, the last switch didn't paste, the /a. I stuck it on and voila, it works! You guys have saved the day. I was ready to bail from Outlook as this problem was driving me nuts.

THANKS Diane for being persistent and Brian for picking on details! You guys rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] View Post
[color=blue][i]

Did you enclose the command line in quotes in the shortcut like the web page
shows? Do you have spaces in front of each switch (the parameters that start
with a slash) and in front of each switch argument?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Minimize Outlook 2007 larry00663 Outlook - Installation 3 April 27th 09 03:19 AM
Outlook won't minimize shyriah Outlook - General Queries 3 December 10th 08 07:16 PM
how to minimize paul Outlook Express 2 October 4th 06 01:38 PM
Minimize Outlook J Outlook - General Queries 2 July 12th 06 06:51 PM
Various Outlook 2003 issues - Msgs changing to plain text mid-composition, etc. [email protected] Outlook - General Queries 0 April 7th 06 04:54 PM