Upgrading to 2010 from2007

Old May 5th 10, 09:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Oliver Costich[_2_]

Default Upgrading to 2010 from2007

If I install Occe 2010 over my Office 2007, will Outlook 2010 find my
contacts, calendar, email, etc., or do I need to do something with the
outlook.pst file
Old May 5th 10, 10:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine

Upgrade installations are and always have been problematic with Outlook,
even more so with betas. Best practice is install Outlook clean and use the
supported methods for migrating your Outlook data (posted here daily).
If you decide to experiment with an upgrade installation anyway, at the very
least you should create a new Outlook profile from scratch and back up all
data thoroughly ahead of time.
--
Russ Valentine

Old May 5th 10, 11:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Uninstall Office 2007, reboot and install Office 2010. It should find the
profile and use all the existing settings but its usually better to make a
new profile.

Old May 6th 10, 12:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

"Russ Valentine" wrote in message

Upgrade installations are and always have been problematic with Outlook,
even more so with betas. Best practice is install Outlook clean and use the
supported methods for migrating your Outlook data (posted here daily).
If you decide to experiment with an upgrade installation anyway, at the very
least you should create a new Outlook profile from scratch and back up all
data thoroughly ahead of time.

To satisfy my own curiosity, I'm going to be choosing "Upgrade" for my
installation of Office 2010 because I want to see what happens to the mail
profile and be aware of what problems arise.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old May 6th 10, 01:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine

I'm hopeful it will work better (but not ready to be a guinea pig). They
finally made some improvements to the migration process. New profiles no
longer automatically create a new, blank PST file but provide an option to
connect to a previous file. That procedure works quite well and creates no
ghosts.
--
Russ Valentine

Old May 6th 10, 05:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Jethro Pull

I'm having some problems with 2007 so I expect deleting the profile will
help me to set up from scratch as if OL2007 had not been on my computer
except for Contacts, E-mails received ...

Old May 6th 10, 10:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Oliver Costich[_2_]

On Thu, 6 May 2010 07:41:35 -0400, "Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]"
wrote:

"Russ Valentine" wrote in message

Upgrade installations are and always have been problematic with Outlook,
even more so with betas. Best practice is install Outlook clean and use the
supported methods for migrating your Outlook data (posted here daily).
If you decide to experiment with an upgrade installation anyway, at the very
least you should create a new Outlook profile from scratch and back up all
data thoroughly ahead of time.

To satisfy my own curiosity, I'm going to be choosing "Upgrade" for my
installation of Office 2010 because I want to see what happens to the mail
profile and be aware of what problems arise.

Please let me know the results.
Old May 7th 10, 12:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

"Oliver Costich" wrote in message

Please let me know the results.

The result for me was that Office 2007 was uninstalled and Office 2010
installed. My mail profile was reused, all my Outlook settings retained and
operation was exactly as it had been with one exception. I had a link to
Scanpst in the Microsoft Office Tools menu item and that became orphaned.
Easily fixed.

Take this with a grain of salt, though. The truth is that my experience is a
single data point and, therefore, anecdotal. You can't take one person's
experience to be (necessarily) indicative of anyone else's experience. I've
seen too many reports of people having problems in areas where I've never had
problems, doing things that worked fine for me but produced errors for others.
There are way too many opportunties for anomalies between systems because of
differences in hardware and software. For one thing, I tend to not use
add-ins and that's a huge source of problems for people. All this said, if
you have a backup of your data you don't have a lot to lose if try it yourself
and it doesn't work well. Usually a new profile will fix whatever problems
arise.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]