What program is trying to access e-mail address information stored in outlook?

Old May 4th 10, 10:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Cryer[_2_]

Default What program is trying to access e-mail address information stored in outlook?

I have one user (Vista Business, Outlook 2007 connected to Exchange 2003)
who has today started to see a pop-up from Outlook saying:

"A program is trying to access e-mail address information stored in
Outlook. If this is unexpected, click Deny and verify your antivirus
software is up-to-date."

Anti-virus (McAfee) is up todate, and I'm doing a scan now and afterwards
will do a separate scan for malware. This user tells me that he hasn't
knowingly installed anything recently.

My question is: is there any way to determine what the program is which is
trying to access e-mail address information stored in outlook? If I could
determine what the program was then I'm sure it would be obvious what to do
next.

Any ideas?

TIA.
--
Brian Cryer
www.cryer.co.uk/brian

Old May 4th 10, 12:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

"Brian Cryer" not.here@localhost wrote in message

I have one user (Vista Business, Outlook 2007 connected to Exchange 2003) who
has today started to see a pop-up from Outlook saying:

"A program is trying to access e-mail address information stored in
Outlook. If this is unexpected, click Deny and verify your antivirus
software is up-to-date."

Anti-virus (McAfee) is up todate, and I'm doing a scan now and afterwards
will do a separate scan for malware. This user tells me that he hasn't
knowingly installed anything recently.

My question is: is there any way to determine what the program is which is
trying to access e-mail address information stored in outlook?

This is a sign of an add-in that wasn't written correctly. Here are your
options with respect to the Outlook Object Model Guard:

This tool, also mentioned on the page I just cited, is supposed to be able to
help pinpoint the aapplication: http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/security/
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old May 4th 10, 02:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Cryer[_2_]

"Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]" wrote in message
[...]

Excellent, thank you.
A very useful add-on. I now know that its Microsoft Word (wwlib.dll), which
it causing this problem. Why its only recently started I don't know, but I
can't find anything amis so I'm going to recommend the user allows this and
hopefully I won't see it again.

Thank you for your help.
--
Brian Cryer
www.cryer.co.uk/brian

Old May 4th 10, 02:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Cryer[_2_]

[...]

FYI: Turns out this isn't the entire story. There were two other
applications which later came to light, one of which was a control the user
had added to his side-bar which pulled back and some calendar information.
Don't know the name of that, but I'm sure that that applet is the root
cause. I've no reason to doubt its okay, its just frustrating that I didn't
know about it at the beginning. I wouldn't haev found it without the tool
you cited - http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/security/ and I'd recommend it
for anyone else trying to troubleshoot this issue.
--
Brian Cryer
www.cryer.co.uk/brian