Do you want to open this file - mail attachment - dialog box gone

Old October 25th 09, 10:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ken Snell

Default Do you want to open this file - mail attachment - dialog box gone

Yes, if I try to download a .DOC or .XLS or .ZIP file from a website, using
IE6 or IE8, I do get the "confirm" dialog box before IE will allow the file
to be opened.

--

Ken Snell
http://www.accessmvp.com/KDSnell/

"Michael Santovec" wrote in message
Do you get the dialog if you try to download a file from the Internet
using IE?

IE and OE are supposed to be using the same file association setting.

If IE does NOT get the prompt that with IE either. that tells you the
problem is outside of OE.

If IE does get the prompt for the same file types that OE doesn't, that
puts the problem closer to OE.

--

Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us

"Ken Snell" wrote in message
I did as you suggested. Now on IE6.

Behavior in OE for opening files persists. It has not returned to asking
me to confirm that the file should be opened.

--

Ken Snell

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote in message
Has an earlier version of McAfee Internet Security Suite or any other
McAfee application ever been installed?

If you disable all components of McAfee Internet Security Suite (e.g.,
anti-virus; firewall; anti-spyware) AND THEN enable the Windows Firewall
AND THEN uninstall IE8 & reboot twice (and do not reinstall IE8 just
yet), does the behavior persist?

Ken Snell wrote:
PC currently has McAfee Internet Security Suite intalled, with
AntiVirus,
Firewall, and Site Advisor running. I just renewed the subscription
last
week (7 days ago). Other PCs and laptop renewed at same time, with same
McAfee software, do not exhibit this odd behavior.

PC originally came with Norton, but that was removed years ago in favor
of
McAfee. Norton was removed by Norton Removal Tool.

Yes, McAfee was running when IE8 was installed as upgrade from IE7.

No other anti-spyware programs running or installed.

Can't tell you exactly when this behavior started. I upgraded to IE8 on
that
PC about six or eight weeks ago, but don't recall if the behavior
changed as
a result of the upgrade, or if it has happened more recently. I don't
use
that PC as often as my laptop.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
applications running in the background when you installed IE8 and/or
SP3?

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on
this
machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
bought
it; an earlier version of McAfee Security Center freebie from your
ISP)?

Ken Snell wrote:
I've checked further.

The behavior is occurring for all file types (.zip, .rar, .doc, .xls)
in
all
identities. And these file types have the "Confirm after download"
checkbox
checked in Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | File Types.

None of the identities has a key for Dont Show Dialogs in Registry.

I'm perplexed as to what has happened, and how to fix this. I
definitely
don't want OE to operate without letting me cofirm file opening.

I haven't tried all types of attachments, but it's doing it for
EXCEL
and
WORD files so far. Thanks for this information. The identity on
which
this
is happening is the Main one. I'll see how this works.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
All attachments or...?

Your current Identity may be damaged, especially if its the default
Main
Identity. Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named
Identity...
snip Ken Snell wrote:
I'm running WinXP Pro with IE8. My Outlook Express has stopped
asking
me
if
I want to open this file when I click on a mail attachment
(clicking
on
the
attachment in the dropdown list where option is the file or Save
Attachments. OE just opens the file directly.

I don't recall unchecking the checkbox in the popup dialog window,
either,
so am not sure how it got turned off.

I've checked Registry Editor, and I do not have a key in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID}\Software\Micro soft\Outlook
Express\5.0\Dont Show Dialogs folder for this option, so I cannot
delete
the
key in order to return the dialog box.

Where else do I look for fixing this issue? Thanks.

Old October 26th 09, 12:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

Just guessing, but you might check under he

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.doc

and see if there is any difference between the computers you have that show
the confirm box and the ones that don't and see if there are any spurious or
obvious settings that might contribute.

steve

Ken Snell wrote:
[...]

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is
your

Old October 27th 09, 01:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ken Snell

I will do that, but it'll be a few weeks before I can do it. I'm on the road
for two weeks.... "flying is fun, flying is fun, flying is fun...."
Thanks!

Old October 27th 09, 01:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

Think twice before flying Delta/NW! =
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/10/26/air...yby/index.html