Cannot open JPG file attachment with MSPAINT

Old October 11th 06, 06:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael T.

Default Cannot open JPG file attachment with MSPAINT

As a long time user of Outlook Express (10+ years) I can usually figure out
how to fix most problems. But this one really has me baffled.

When I click on a JPG file attachment (incoming e-mail) I get the error that
I must go to Folder Options and associate the JPG file.

Well here's the rub.

If I associate JPG files with "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" I *can* open
JPG e-mail file attachments just fine. But if I associate JPG files with MS
PAINT I keep getting the aforementioned error message. Namely, that I need
to go to Folder Options an associate the JPG file.

Please help.

Michael T.

Old October 11th 06, 07:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Have you tried it this way?

Save the attachment to your HDD. Right click on it and Open With. Select MS
Paint and then check the box: Always use this program to open this kind of
file.

Reboot and see if it will open from the attachment to Paint now.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old October 11th 06, 08:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael T.

No change Bruce.

But for what it is worth I also tried using a new association besides:
Windows Picture and Fax Viewer - which works
and
MS Paint - which does NOT

Namely, I tried associating JPG files with Internet Explorer instead of MS
Paint. What I discovered is that IE6 works. So it appears to be related to
MS Paint - as two other associations work just fine.

Hope this helps.

Michael

Old October 11th 06, 10:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
AlmostBob

mspaint by default only supports some graphic formats, I think .bmp
it can use the convertors from MSOffice if office is installed and get
support for jpg png cgm cdr eps gif pict pic wpg. the convertor pack is
available here
hope its close to right

--
-
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://www.safer-networking.org
Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
Super Antispyware http://www.superantispyware.com/
Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.activescan.com
Panda online AntiSpyware Scan
http://www.pandasoftware.com/virus_info/spyware/test/
Catalog of removal tools (1)
Catalog of removal tools (2)
http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/n...aspx?CID=40387
Trouble Shooting guide to Windows http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
Cool Web Shredder http://www.trendmicro.com/cwshredder/
links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before
use
Grateful thanks to the authors/webmasters
_

Old October 11th 06, 11:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael T.

"AlmostBob" wrote in message
MS Paint by default only supports some graphic formats, I think .bmp
it can use the converters from MSOffice if office is installed and get
support for jpg png cgm cdr eps gif pict pic wpg. the convertor pack is
available here
hope its close to right

Actually I have no problem when I double-click a JPG file on my hard drive.
The error only occurs when I try to open a JPG file attachment with a file
association to MS Paint. Other file formats like .BMP are OK.

Since it's a small issue I will simply continue associating JPG files with
Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

Old October 12th 06, 12:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Just for kicks:

Clear the Temporary Internet Files: In IE | Tools | Internet Options |
Delete Files button. And check the box to Delete Offline content. Now try
it.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old October 12th 06, 01:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael T.

"Bruce Hagen" wrote in message
Just for kicks:

Clear the Temporary Internet Files: In IE | Tools | Internet Options |
Delete Files button. And check the box to Delete Offline content. Now try
it.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
~IB-CA~

Unfortunately no change. Oh well.

Old October 12th 06, 10:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

Check the registry associations for the jpg file type. See
www.oehelp.com/noimg.aspx

steve

Old October 12th 06, 08:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

Make sure that your registry has the following keys:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\mspaint.exe\shell\o pen]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\mspaint.exe\shell\o pen\command]
@=hex(2):22,00,25,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00 ,6d,00,72,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,\
00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00 ,33,00,32,00,5c,00,6d,00,\
73,00,70,00,61,00,69,00,6e,00,74,00,2e,00,65,00,78 ,00,65,00,22,00,20,00,22,\
00,25,00,31,00,22,00,00,00

If the key is missing, and I believe it is by default, that will cause
the error. If you like, you can paste the above lines into Notepad,
save as REG file (e.g. MSPAINT.REG) and then double click the reg file
to apply.

If you look via regedit, the above hex data should appear as
"%systemroot%\system32\mspaint.exe" "%1"

jpg attachment Kim Outlook Express 1 August 23rd 06 06:33 PM
Can I replace the attachment file when double chick attachment? [email protected] Outlook - General Queries 3 August 3rd 06 04:10 PM
Unable to open .jpg files katzegeleibten Outlook Express 6 July 7th 06 03:05 PM
JPG Attachment preview in an Outlook 2000 Contact entry [email protected] Outlook - Using Contacts 0 June 16th 06 12:02 AM
.pst file is maxed out - HELP - screen.jpg (0/1) C. Davey Utter Outlook - General Queries 8 May 30th 06 02:09 PM