OE6 and Internet Explorer 8

Old May 16th 09, 01:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Andrea

Default OE6 and Internet Explorer 8

Since upgrading to IE8, it takes several minutes for Outlook Express to open
and then another 2 or 3 minutes to open an email or newsgroup post that's
already downloaded to my hard drive. Is there a conflict? If so, any
solutions? Thanks.

Old May 16th 09, 07:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Andrea

Thanks for the link, but everything else besides OE wasn't normal. The
upgraded IE8 loaded extremely slowly and then took another 3 or so minutes
to connect to the Internet. I didn't notice this at first because IE isn't
my default browser. I also noticed that CPU usage increased, sometimes to
100%, when I opened OE or anything else. And when I opened MS Word, I kept
getting an error about the printer not responding even though I wasn't
trying to print. I didn't notice all of this right away. I ended up calling
MS today, which is offering free support around IE8 until December. They
suggested that I uninstall IE8 and revert to IE7, which they helped me to
do, and this solved all the above problems. There's most likely a conflict
with one or more programs on my computer, but that would take a lot of time
and effort to figure out. I use IE so rarely that it didn't seem important
to upgrade right now.

Old May 16th 09, 08:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

Installing IE8 *properly* shouldn't have had any effect whatsoever on OE,
Andrea.

My personal recommendations include:

= Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!!

= Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.

= Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
installing or uninstalling IE8.

= I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's)
before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a
third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling the
Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.

= Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8. [Do NOT use
System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700. Then use the Restore Point prior to
reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations. Norton users will need to see
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]

= Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8.

= For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus
application, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender), and your
third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 Final before you decide
install it.

====================
General OE Caveats for best reliability:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working
offline". More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

- Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not attempt to
close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if Automatic Compacting
is taking place.

- Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It can cause
corruption (i.e., loss of messages) and provides no additional protection:

http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Old May 16th 09, 08:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Andrea

I don't use automatic updates, but I realize that doesn't mean that I didn't
install a corrupted version. I don't use any third-party toolbars or Windows
themes, so that wouldn't be the cause. I did close all applications, but I
didn't disable the antivirus, which I probably should have done. I did have
Spybot Search and Destroy immunization active and Spyware Blaster. It hadn't
occurred to me that they would cause a problem becasue I wasn't running any
scans at the time, but thanks for the heads up. I didn't have any software
firewalls installed at the time. I'll probably try to upgrade to IE8 another
time, but for now I'm going to just stay with 7. Thanks for your support.

Andrea

Old May 16th 09, 08:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

...I did have
Spybot Search and Destroy immunization active and Spyware Blaster.

See this related discussion:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...9478566ac1ee9b

Also see:

Internet Explorer 8 takes longer than expected to start:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969938
--
IE-specific newsgroup:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)