How do I disassociate IE from all links and file types?

Old March 17th 09, 07:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Dave[_14_]

Default How do I disassociate IE from all links and file types?

I use Firefox. But recently, if I click on a link in a newsgroup post IE
tries to open it--sometimes. (Don't recall if it occurs w/ links in
emails.) Not only do I not want IE to do this, though it tries, it doesn't
actually open the link successfully. It gives the msg: invalid syntax
error.

How do I make it so that IE does not try to open ANYTHING (which is it had
been working)?

Old March 17th 09, 07:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

[Crossposted to IE General. This is for Outlook Express]

Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Set Program Access and Defaults |
Custom + Down Arrow | Choose a default Web browser. Select the radio button
for Firefox.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old March 17th 09, 08:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Dave[_14_]

That helped, but it didn't cure it. EI still randomly tries to open links.
If I click on a link, FF will open it most times, but sometimes EI will
still try it. It seems to happen less often, but still happens. I even
rebooted after making my default selections.

Old March 17th 09, 08:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Dave[_14_]

Old March 17th 09, 11:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

Is there anything about the links that IE tries to open that are
similar?

OE depends on the Windows File Associations to to determine which
application opens a link. There are different file associations for
different types of URLs.

There is a separate one for HTTP and HTTPS. As well as ones for news,
mailto, etc.

Open Window Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, File Types. If you sort
on Extension, the URL ones will be towards the top with the "(NONE)"
extensions.

Old March 17th 09, 11:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

Old March 21st 09, 04:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Dave[_14_]

Michael Santovec wrote:
Is there anything about the links that IE tries to open that are
similar?

Mike, here are 3 links from newsgroups I read in OE.

The first 2 below are inconsistent. In most cases FireFox opens them. But
sometimes IE tries (unsuccessfully).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrcki3rlesk

http://en.wordpress.com/tag/kurt-rosenwinkle/

As many times as I click on this one, IE grabs it, though doesn't open it.

http://essentialsound.com/mm5/mercha...ory_Co de=REF

OE depends on the Windows File Associations to to determine which
application opens a link. There are different file associations for
different types of URLs.

There is a separate one for HTTP and HTTPS. As well as ones for news,
mailto, etc.

Open Window Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, File Types. If you sort
on Extension, the URL ones will be towards the top with the "(NONE)"
extensions.

Not sure what you're telling me to do.

Old March 21st 09, 08:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

Those are all HTTP links, so they all Ought to be processed the same
way.

Take a look at the file associations for "URL Hyper Text Transport
Protocol" and see what program it says is supposed to handle them.

You get there by opening Window Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, File